Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for PENISTONE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

PENISTONE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"PENISTONE, a parish in the wapentake of STAINCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the market-town of Penistone, the chapelry of Denby, and the townships of Gunthwaite, Hunshelf, Ingbirchworth, Langsett, Oxspring, and Thurlestone, and containing 5042 inhabitants, of which number, 645 are in the town of Penistone, 8 miles W.S.W. from Barnesley, and 177 N.N.W. from London. The town is situated on the southern bank of the river Don, and consists of four streets, which intersect each other at right angles: it is in general well built. The only branch of manufacture is that of. linen, which is not very extensive. The market is on Thursday, principally for cattle. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £ 16. 14. 2. Major- General G. Bosville was patron in 1809. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. There are places of worship for the Society of Friends, Independents, and Wesleyan Methodists. A free grammar school was founded in 1604, and endowed by sundry persons with houses, lands, and rent-charges, now producing an income of about £110 per annum, which till lately was applied for teaching the classics, but at present the children are only taught English. There is also a free school for girls, erected in 1821 by subscription, to which the National School Society also contributed: it is endowed with £420 four per cents., producing £16. 16. per annum; one hundred and twenty are instructed; the mistress also receives £ 10 per annum, the bequest of Josias Wordsworth, for which twenty additional girls are taught. Dr, Nicholas Sanderson, the celebrated blind Professor of Mathematics in the University of Cambridge, was a native of this parish.."


"DENBY, a chapelry in the parish of PENISTONE, wapentake of STAINCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles N.W. from Barnesley, containing 1412 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £ 1200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Penistone. Francis Burdett, in 1731, bequeathed £ 100, the interest of which, amounting to £6. 3. per annum, is applied towards teaching six children."


"GUNTHWAITE, a township in the parish of PENISTONE, wapentake of STAINCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles W. from Barnesley, containing 86 inhabitants."


"HUNSHELF, a township in the parish of PENISTONE, wapentake of STAINCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.E. from Penistone, containing 436 inhabitants."


"INGBIRCHWORTH, a township in the parish of PENISTONE, wapentake of STAINCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles S.W. from Barnesley, containing 367 inhabitants."


"LANGSETT, a township in the parish of PENISTONE, wapentake of STAINCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles W.S.W. from Penistone, containing 325 inhabitants."


"OXSPRING, a township in the parish of PENISTONE, wapentake of STAINCROSS, West riding of the county of York, 2 miles E. from Penistone, containing 247 inhabitants."


"THURLESTONE, a township in the parish of PENISTONE, wapentake of STAINCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles S.W. from Barnesley; containing 1524 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesley an Methodists. The manufacture of woollen cloth and hair cloth is extensively carried on, and there are fulling and scribbling mills in the neighbourhood."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]