Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: RAVENFIELD.     Church dedication: ST. JAMES.     Church type: Peculiar. Perpetual Curacy.*2.

Area, 1,170 acres. Strafforth and Tickhill wapentake, S.D. - Population, 229 ; Chapel-room, 200; Net value, £160.

Patron, T. B. Bosville, Esq.

Impropriator, the Archdeacon of York. Mr. Hunter could find no account of the foundation of the Chapel.

Valued in 1707 at £10; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 484, it is stated " A minister, but no certain salary. The impropriator pays him twenty marks per annum. The parish, as now it stands, consists of about forty-six families, and one third part of Ranfield is of another parish, to wit, Conisbrough, and most fit both for situation and suppliance of number for a congregation; we think fit that the whole town of Ranfield, together with Flasby in Conisbrough parish, be annexed to Ranfield Church ;" valued in 1818, at £117 per annum.

" Ranfield, or Ravenfield, is a Chapelry in the parish of Mexbrough. All parochial offices and duties are performed, and Easter dues and surplice fees paid to the Curate, as if it were an entire parish of itself. The great and small tithes are part of the corps of the Archdeaconry of York, whose lessee nominates to the Cure, and pays the Curate £26 per annum, which is the whole endowment." Signed "Edmund Withers, Curate." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 805.

Augmented in 1743 with £200 by lot ; in 1752, with £200, to meet benefaction of a rent-charge of £16 per annum, from the Bishop of Norwich, then Archdeacon of York; in 1762, with £200 to meet benefaction of £300 from Walter Oborne, Esq.; in 1788, with £200 to meet benefaction of £200 from Matthew Morgan, Esq.; in 1814, with £300 from the Parliamentary grant, to meet benefaction of a stipend of £15 per annum from the Rev. R. Markham. Archdeacon of York; in 1819, with £300 from the same grant, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Rev. T. Bosville; and in 1824, with £300 from the same grant, to meet benefactions of £100 from the said Rev. T. Bosville, and £100 from Mrs. Pyncombe's trustees.

For the arms and monuments, see Hunter's South Yorkshire.

The Chapel was rebuilt in 1756 by Mrs. Parkin.

No glebe house.

The Register Books commence in 1563. Chasm 1600 to 1634.

Charities:
Howson's charity estate. Henry Howson, by will, dated 29th August 1641. Rent of moiety of 4a. 3r. 22p. of land for the poor. The Commissioners censured the practice which prevailed at the time of the Report, of applying the rent in aid of the poor's rate, and recommended that the money should be distributed separately among industrious and deserving poor persons.

Mary Oborne's gift, by will, dated 23rd January 1779. Dividends on £762. 15s. 8d. three per cent. consols, distributed every Christmas among the indigent inhabitants.

Thomas Omfrey's gift. Interest of £100 distributed annually among the poor. -Vide 19th Report, page 575.

Post town: Rotherham.


References:
Not mentioned in Torre's MS. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 303. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. i. page 396.


Notes:
*1 Yr Avon Field-the field of the waters.

*2 The Archdeacon of York grants probates of wills and visits; all other jurisdiction is exercised by the Dean and Chapter.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.