Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: RIPLEY.     Church dedication: ALL SAINTS.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 7,080 acres. Claro wapentake. Population, 1,219 *1; Church-room, 400; Net value, £666. -This was anciently a Rectory of Medieties, one of which was of the patronage of the Nevills and the other of the Pateshalls, but on 14th Kal. September 1250, they were consolidated.

Present patron, Sir William A. Ingilby, Bart.

Valued in the King's Books at £23. Ss. 9d.

Glebe house fit.

The Register Books commence in 1560.

Charities:
Admiral Long's School. Founded by Admiral Robert Long, by deed, 3rd January 1760. About forty-four boys and girls are freely taught reading, writing, and accounts, and the girls are also taught knitting and sewing. Endowment ; school-house, 258a. 35p. of land, let, at the time of the Report, for £209 per annum, and the sum of £190 at interest. The Commissioners were of opinion that steps should be taken to extend the benefits of the charity. -Vide 3rd Report, page 476.

The Free School. Founded by Catherine and Mary Ingilby in 1702. 40s. per annum is paid out of an estate at Sproatley containing 153a. 1r. 24p. of land to the Curate, for teaching the children of the whole parish reading, writing, arithmetic, and the Church Catechism, which he does through an assistant. The Commissioners were of opinion that the whole estate was held in trust.

Thomasin Hardisty's charity, by will, 25th May 1745. Interest of £200 paid to widows and for fatherless children.

Bread doles. 22s. 6d. per annum.

Newall's and Nursaw's gifts. Interest of £5 each.

RIPLEY TOWNSHIP.

Lord John Craven's charity, by will, 28th May 1647. Rent of twenty-three acres of land, laid out in money and coals.

Nursaw's rent charge. £3 per annum. Ralph Sandby's gift. Interest of £30. This is supposed to be lost.

CLINT TOWNSHIP.

Poor's Land. 4a. 2r.

Nelson's rent charge. 20s. per annum. William Mountain's gift, by will, 1778.

Interest of £100 among twelve widows. The Commissioners recommended that the principal should be invested according to the directions of the testator.

KILLINGHALL TOWNSHIP.

Robert Clarkson's rent charge. 9s. per annum.

Pallein's dole. 20s. per annum. -Vide 4th Report, page 432.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1511. Bodleian MS., No. 5101. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Ripeleia), pages 188. 228. Hargrove's Knaresborough, page 130.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Ripley, 270; Clint, 404; Killinghall, 545.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.