Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for RIPLEY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

RIPLEY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"RIPLEY, (formerly a market-town) a parish partly in the upper, but chiefly in the lower, division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 23 miles N.W. from York, and 208 N.N.W. from London, containing, with the townships of Clint and Killinghall, 1182 inhabitants. This place is situated on rising ground, about half a mile north from the river Nidd,and consists of one broad street, the old houses in which having been recently taken down, and replaced by others of stone, in the English style of architecture, at the expense of Sir W. A. Ingilby, Bart., it presents a very pleasing appearance, and the country surrounding it is highly cultivated, and beautifully picturesque. The market was held on Wednesday, but it has fallen into disuse. The fairs are on Easter-Monday and Tuesday,- and the 26th of August, principally for horses, sheep, and cattle. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £23. 8. p., and in the patronage of Sir William Amcotts Ingilby, Bart. The church, dedicated to All Saints, contains some handsome monuments of the Ingilby family, among which is one to the memory of Sir Thomas de Ingilby, Justice of the Common Pleas in the time of Edward III., and in the churchyard there is a curious pedestal of an ancient cross, with eight niches, apparently intended for kneeling. A free school was founded and endowed, in 1702, by Mary and Catherine Ingilby; the present income is about £ 40 a year, and from fifty to sixty children are instructed in reading, writing, and arithmetic; this school is free for the children of the whole parish. A school at Burnt Yates was founded by Admiral Long, in 1760, and endowed with property, which, with some small additions subsequently made to it, now produces £200 per annum; of this sum £70 a year is paid to the master and mistress, £ 50 a year to a superannuated master, the remainder being applied to paying off a debt, and sundry expenses connected with the establishment. Children from the townships of Clint and Winsley are admitted, and instructed in reading, writing, and arithmetic; the average number is about twenty-two boys, and as many girls. There are charitable endowments to the amount of about £40 per annum in the town of Ripley, the principal of which are Lord Craven's and Mrs. Hardy's. Ripley castle, the seat of the Ingilby family, was erected in 1555, though so much modernised, as to retain few traces of the original structure. Oliver Cromwell passed the night succeeding the battle of Marston Moor in Jhis castle."


"CLINT, a township in that part of the parish of RIPLEY, which is in the lower division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, l£ mile S.W. from Ripley, containing 412 inhabitants. Here are the remains of an ancient mansion, called Clint Hall. The Roman road from Illdey over the. forest of Knaresborough branched off in two directions at this place, one leading to Catterick, the other to Aldborough."


"KILLINGHALL, a township in that part of the parish of RIPLEY, which is in the lower division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, Imile S.E. from Ripley, containing 519 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]