BONDGATE, in the township of Aismunderby with Bondgate, and parish of Ripon, which it joins on the south. Pop. included in Aismunderby.
Here is an Hospital founded before the 4th year of King John, by one of the Archbishop of York, and dedicated to St. John Baptist. Its revenues valued, 26th Henry VIII. at £10. 14s. 4d. --Dugdale; and 37th, Henry VIII. at £12. 0s. 4d. Stevens. The building is small, and inhabited by two poor women, who have each an annual stipend of one pound seven shillings. A small distance from this hospital is a chapel dedicated to St. John Baptist, where divine service was performed every Sunday till 1722. It is now converted into a National School, and the boys, of which there are at present 150, are educated on the plan of Dr. Bell, an institution than which nothing can tend more strongly to increase the stock of public morality, and raise the children to a higher degree in the scale of rationality.