Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: PATELEY BRIDGE.     Church dedication: ST. MARY.

Area, vide Ripon. Ripon liberty. -Population, 3,857 *2; Chapel-room, 803 *3; Net value, £132.

Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Ripon.

Valued in 1707, at £26. 3s. 4d.; and in 1818, at £87. 11s. 4d. per annum.

Augmented in 1809, with £200, to meet benefactions of £100 from the Dean of Ripon, and £100 from Mrs. Pyncombe's trustees ; in 1811, with £300 from the Parliamentary Grant, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Dean of Ripon; and in the same year with £1,000 from the same Grant ; in 1812, with £200, and in 1821, with £400, both from the same Grant -by lot ; in 1827, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Dean of Ripon ; and in 1832, with £200 from the Parliamentary Grant, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Archbishop of York.

No glebe house.

The Register Books commence in 1552 ; marriages are celebrated here.

A new Chapel has been built at Pateley Bridge, under the Parliamentary Grant. The architecture of the Chapel is Gothic. Free sittings 432. Grant, £2,000. The first stone was laid 20th October, 1825.

Charities:
TOWNSHIP OF DACRE BANKS. Braithwaite School. Founded by deed, dated 21st January 1778, pursuant to the will of Edward Yates, dated 22nd January 1774. Endowment ; a house, twenty-three acres of land, and nine cattle-gates ; between thirty and forty free scholars in reading, writing, arithmetic, and the Church Catechism.

CHAPELRY IN GENERAL.

Rake's School. Founded by Alice Shepherd, widow, by will, 14th June 1806, and augmented by the will of Dr. William Craven, dated 24th August 1812. Endowment, £1,800. Navy Fives, schoolhouse, turf-house, and garden of about half an acre ; twenty children of both sexes are instructed in reading, writing, arithmetic, and the Church Catechism, and they are also clothed. Each scholar remains three years in the school. -Vide 7th Report page 494.

A Post town.


References:
Torre's MS., (Peculiars), page 102. 8th Report of the Church Building Commissioners.


Notes:
*1 In the township of High and Low Bishopside.

*2 Estimated only at 750 in the Ecclesiastical Report of 1834.

*3 565 additional sittings (of which 200 are free), have been procured, towards which the Society made a grant of £500.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.