Ripon liberty, L.D. -Church-room 1000, of which not less than 200 are free seats; Net value, £240.
Patrons, the heirs of the Rev. Edward Kilvington.
The Rev. C. Simeon and others trustees.
Built under an act passed 7th Geo. IV. cap. 50, for building a Church or Chapel of ease, to be a perpetual Cure and benefice by the name of Trinity Church in Ripon. The first stone was laid 28th July, 1826, and the Church was consecrated in 1828. No District has yet been assigned. The Church was built at the sole expense of the late Rev. E. Kilvington, and cost about £9000. *1.
No return as to glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1827.
BONDGATE. -Here was anciently a Chapel, and which appears to have been the same as the one mentioned in the account of the Hospital of St. John the Baptist.
*1 By the Act it is provided, "That it shall " not be lawful for the Dean, or Residentiary, "or for any Vicar Choral of the Collegiate " Church of Ripon for the time being, or any "other person holding either Curacy or Lecture" ship within the parish of Ripon, to be Minister " of the said Church or Chapel of ease." >The seats in the Church, except the free sittings and all the vaults, are vested in the heirs of Mr. Kilvington, with power to lease the pews from year to year, but without fine and distrain for the rent. The power to lease to continue only till the living be worth £150 per annum. >The Church was endowed at the time of consecration with land of the value of £800. >The Act prescribes double duty and a morning sermon every Sunday, and on Christmas day and Good Friday, and on all occasional fasts and festivals, and the sacrament to be administered at least eight times every year. >Banns may be published and matrimony solemnized, in all cases where the same might be published in the Collegiate Church, paying double fees, of which one moiety shall be paid to the Dean and Chapter of Ripon. >The Minister to have the nomination of the churchwardens, sidesman, clerk, sexton, and organist, and to have the custody of the key of the Church, and to have a key to the church chest, and the churchwardens to have another key with a different lock. >The churchwardens have the power to make a rate upon the owners and renters of pews, and to recover the amount by distress. >The rate to include the expenses of providing bread and wine for the holy communion, books and surplices for the Minister, and of repairing the windows, and keeping the Church in a clean, neat, and decent state. >£100 was invested in the name of Mr. Kilvington and the churchwardens as a fund for keeping the Church in repair, and the interest to accumulate until it amounted to £400 and the principal never to be reduced below £200, and such £200 to be laid out as soon as may be in the purchase of land. >The living may be further endowed with lands, &c. not exceeding the yearly value of £200. >Power is also given to the patron to erect a residence for the Minister, and also a schoolhouse. >Power is given to the patron, at the request of a majority of the proprietors and renters of pews. made in pursuance of a public meeting convened by notice given by three or more of such proprietors or renters, and affixed to the principal door of the Church at least ten days before the meeting, to nominate a Lecturer to read prayers and preach a sermon every Sunday, in addition to the duty above described ; such Lecturer to be licensed by the Archbishop -remunerated by subscription.