GRANTLEY, a township, in the liberty and parish of Ripon, lower division of Claro; (Grantley Hall, the seat of Lord Grantley) 5 miles from Ripon and 5 miles W. of Ripley, 6½ from Pateley Bridge. Pop. 233.
Sir Fletcher Norton, descended from the noble house of Conyers. The first Lord Grantley, was created Lord Grantley, Baron of Markenfield, April 9, 1782: being bred to the law, he was, December 1761, appointed Solicitor General, and received the honour of Knighthood during his holding that office. In November, 1763, he was made Attorney General; and in 1769, was Speaker of the House of Commons, in which station he continued till 1780; and was advanced to the Peerage, 1782. His lordship dying, January 1, 1789, was succeeded by his son William, the present noble lord. --Debrett. Heir Presumptive is his Lordship's nephew, the son of Fletcher Norton, who was one of the Barons of the Exchequer in North Britain.
Grantley Hall stands in a low warm situation, and well sheltered with wood, on the road side leading to Pateley Bridge, but contains nothing particular to interest the tourist or antiquary. In it are two of the Speaker's chairs, which Sir Fletcher Norton occupied as Speaker of the House of Commons.