GENUKI Home page    Ripon Parish Ripon
Parish

MICKLEHOW HILL

MICKLEHOW HILL, or Michael How Hill, in the township of Markington with Wallerthwaite, and parish of Ripon, lower division of Claro; 5 miles SW. of Ripon, 9 from Knaresborough.

This is a lofty eminence, partly covered with wood, which formerly belonged to the monastery of Fountains. Upon the summit of this hill was a Chapel, called St. Michael's de Monte, erected by the Abbot and Convent of Fountains, probably about the year 1200, and dedicated to St. Michael. The Chapel, after the dissolution of the monastery, was taken down, and a gothic tower erected on the site, from which is a fine prospect of the surrounding country.

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016