Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for PATELEY BRIDGE: Pateley Bridge Congregational Church History up to 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

PATELEY BRIDGE: Pateley Bridge Congregational Church History up to 1868.

PATELEY BRIDGE. (CONGREGATIONAL.)

Soon after the civil wars, a Mr. Freeman, one of the captains of Cromwell's army, came to reside in this neighbourhood, and was the means of erecting a meeting-house on Greenhough Hill.
  • Rev. -- TOWERS became its minister till his removal to Hopton in 1733. He was succeeded by
  • Rev. -- CARNSON, who was unhappy in his ministry, and was compelled to resign.
  • Rev. -- FLETCHER (from Otley).
  • Afterwards the Rev. -- LAMB, then incumbent of Pateley Bridge, was accustomed to conduct an afternoon service in the old chapel. About 1770 the chapel was partly pulled down, and the congregation became extinct.
  • " About the year 1810, Mr. Norris, of Boroughbridge, went to preach in the neighbourhood of Greenhough Hill, where there was formerly a Dissenting chapel. The miners flocked to hear him in great numbers, and brought their candles to light up the place, which was a dancing or ball-room connected with the village public-house. After the sermon they flocked round him and offered to pay him for his services, and urged his visiting them again. The appearance of things was so favourable, that an offer was made by the students of Idle, under the care of Mr. Vint, to supply them gratuitously for six months; but instead of acceding to this proposal, they determined to subscribe amongst themselves to give the student supplying them half a guinea a Sabbath, and about the same amount to pay for his board whilst with them. Several of them, chiefly miners in the lead mines, met together one Saturday night, and entered in a blank book for the purpose, the sums they would severally subscribe; for one year, towards these objects, and not one of them broke his engagement. Considerable attention was excited by the preaching of the students, and the late - York, Esq., of Beverley Hall, Lord of the Manor, hearing favourable accounts respecting them -that they were young men of good character and respectable education-proposed to give them his countenance. There was a chapel annexed to his mansion, in which a clergyman was accustomed to officiate; he said that this clergyman should continue to read the prayers, as he had been accustomed, and as he was qualified to do-that after he had done, the students should preach to the people who were assembled." They followed this plan till the death of Mr. York, when an Independent chapel was erected.
  • 1817. Rev. RALPH HOLGATE. His ministry, which was at first useful, ended disastrously. In 1837 the grant of the Home Missionary Society was withdrawn.
  • 1838. Rev. F. NEWMAN (from Airedale Coll.). He removed to Shelton, Feb., 1844.
  • 1844. Rev. J. M. CALVERT. He removed to Dronfield 1850.
  • 1850. Rev. A. F. SHAWYER (Rotherham Coll., from Cockermouth). He removed to Delph in 1861.
  • 1863. Rev. L. S. DEWHIRST (from Cavendish Coll.). The present minister (in 1868).
  • There was a congregation at Garsdale, three miles from Pateley Bridge. Rev. JAMES TAYLOR is mentioned as the minister in 1715.

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.