Rev. E. Richardson, D.D., was ejected from the Deanery of Ripon at the Restoration. Being suspected of complicity in the Farnley Wood plot, he left the country, and became pastor of the English church at Leyden.
Tanfield, near Ripon, was the residence of Rev. John Darnton (who was ejected from Bedlington, Northumberland). He did much good in that neighbourhood, and died there July 9, 1680. In 1741, there was a congregation at Greenhough Hill. Rev. J. Cranstoun was the last minister. It was endowed by a farmer named Taylor with £10 per annum, and also by Sir T. White, Bart., of Notts, who was his descendant.*1 Extinct.
In the year 1816, the West Riding Home Missionary Society turned its attention to this ancient borough, and it was visited by the itinerants, preaching being commenced in the house of James Foxton, in All Hallow Gate. The students of Idle also frequently preached there on week nights, on their way to and from their destinations. The house being filled, a room of greater size was engaged in St. Agnes' Gate, where the students began to preach regularly. It was now determined to erect a chapel in All Hallow Gate. The foundation was laid May, 1818, and the chapel, capable of seating 400 persons, was opened in the month of September, Revs. W. Vint, R. W. Hamilton, and James Scott preaching on the occasion. The whole debt was not removed till 1855. The following have been the pastors:-
- 1823. Rev. ROBERT MARTIN (Idle Acy.). After a ministry of seven and a half years, Mr. M. left for Heckmondwike, Jan., 1827. "Mr. M. was a sound preacher and a consistent Christian."
- 1827. Rey. JOSEPH CROFT (Rotherham Coll.), who, after a long and useful ministry (forty years), has just resigned his faithful and honoured pastorate.
* By aid of Rev. J. Croft.
*1 Scales' MSS.