Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Ripon:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Ripon:


"AISMUNDERBY, a part of the township of Aismunderby with Bondgate, in the parish of Ripon, lower-division of Claro, liberty of Ripon; ¼ of a mile from Ripon. Pop. including Bondgate, 551, which being united, form a township."


"ALDFIELD, in the parish of Ripon, lower-division of Claro, liberty of Ripon; 4 miles SW. of Ripon, 8 from Pateley Bridge, 10 from Boroughbridge. Pop. 133. The Church is a perpetual curacy with Studley, dedicated to St. Laurence, in the deanry of Ripon, value, p.r. !£74. Patroness, Mrs. Lawrence." (There is further information for Aldfield).


"BELL FLASH HOUSE, in the parish of Ripon, wap of Claro; 3 miles W. of Ripley."


"BELLWOOD, (the residence of John Harrison, Esq.) in the township of Aismunderby with Bondgate, and in the liberty and parish of Ripon; 1½ miles from Ripon."


"BEWERLEY, in the township of Dacre with Bewerley, and parish of Ripon, lower division of Claro; (Bewerley Hall, the seat of John Yorke, Esq.) 1 mile S. of Pateley Bridge, 8 from Ripley, 12 from Ripon. Pop. included in Dacre."


"BIRKBY NAB, a farm-house in the township of Studley Roger, liberty and parish of Ripon; 2 miles from Ripon."


"BIRKLEY NAB, (now Birkby Nab) a single house in the parish of Ripon, wapentake of Claro, and liberty of Ripon; 2 miles WNW. of Ripon."


"BISHOP MONKTON, in the liberty and parish of Ripon, lower-division of Claro; (the seat of Thomas Charnock, Esq.) 4 miles S. of Ripon and 4 from Boroughbridge, 6 from Knaresborough. Pop. 473. The Chapel, re built in 1822, is a perpetual curacy, value, p.r. !£65. In the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Ripon."


"BISHOP THORNTON, in the liberty and parish of Ripon, lower division of Claro; 6 miles SW. of Ripon, 7 from Knaresborough. Pop. 647. The Church is a perpetual curacy, in the deanry of Ripon, value, p.r. !£65. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Ripon."


"BISHOPSIDE, HIGH and LOW, a township, in the liberty and parish of Ripon, lower-division of Claro; 1 mile from Pateley Bridge, 9 from Knaresborough, 11 from Ripon. Pop. 2,072. It is situated on the north side of the river Nidd, in the vicinity of Pateley Bridge, the chief town in the township."


"BISHOPTON, in the liberty and parish of Ripon, lower-division of Claro; 1 mile W. of Ripon. Pop. 136."


"BONDGATE, in the township of Aismunderby with Bondgate, and parish of Ripon, which it joins on the south. Pop. included in Aismunderby." (There is further information for Bondgate).


"BRAITHWAITE, a hamlet in the township of Dacre with Bewerley, and parish of Ripon, lower-division of Claro; 4 miles from Pateley Bridge.

Here is a School, founded in 1778, by will of Edward Yates, for the children of Deer Ing Houses, Braithwaite, and Padside. The masters salary £20. per annum, arising out of lands which now let for £32. per annum. --Commissioners Report."


"BRECKAMOOR HOUSE, (the seat of Marmaduke Hodgson, Esq.) in the township of Stainley with Stenningford, and parish of Ripon; 2 miles from Ripon."


"BRIDGE HEWICK, in the parish of Ripon, lower-division of Claro, liberty of Ripon; 1¾ mile from Ripon, 4½ from Boroughbridge. Pop. 77.

Here was, says Leland, "a faire Chapel of free stone, on the farther ripe of We (Ure) at the very end of Hewick bridge, made by an Heermite that was a mason; it is not fulle finished." This chapel does not appear to be noticed by any other author. The ruins of it are yet in existence, in a part of Lord Grantley's Estate."


"BRIDGEHOUSE GATE, a hamlet in the township of Dacre with Bewerley, and parish of Ripon; ¼ of a mile from Pateley Bridge."


"CLOTHERHOLME, 2 farm-houses in the liberty and parish of Ripon, lower-division of Claro; 1½ miles NW. of Ripon. Pop. 16."


"COPT HEWICK, in the parish of Ripon, lower-division of Claro, liberties of St. Peter and Ripon, 2 miles from Ripon, 5 from Boroughbridge. Pop. 131."


"COPT HEWICK LODGE, (the seat of William Charnock, Esq.) in the township of Copt Hewick, and parish of Ripon; 2 miles from Ripon."


"DACRE, in the parish of Ripon, lower-division of Claro; 4 miles SE. of Pateley Bridge, 6 from Ripley, 12 from Ripon. Pop. including Bewerley, 2,185, which being united, form a township. The higher part of this township abounds in Lead Mines; particulars of which, see Greenhow Hill."


"DACRE BANKS, a hamlet in the parish of Ripon; 3½ miles SE. of Pateley Bridge.

Here is a small School founded about 1693, by William Hardcastle. The master's salary, 8 guineas per annum, with a house and garden."


"DOLEBANK, in the township of Bishop Thornton, and parish of Ripon; 3 miles from Ripley, 6 from Ripon.

At this place, Sir Thomas Gascoigne, Bart. built a Nunnery, which he endowed with £90. per annum, out of an estate at Maunston. It is now only a Farm House, in which some part of the old building is to be found, and is the property of Mr. Greenwood, merchant."


"EAVESTONE, in the liberty and parish of Ripon, lower-division of Claro; 6 miles SW. of Ripon, 10 from Knaresborough. Pop. 73,"


"ELLIOTT HOUSE, (the seat of John Elliott, Esq.) in the township and parish of Ripon; half a mile from Ripon."


"FELLBECK, a hamlet in the township of High and Low Bishopside, liberty and parish of Ripon; 3 miles E. of Pateley Bridge."


"FOUNTAINS ABBEY, in the township of Markington, and parish of Ripon; 3¾ miles S. of Ripon." (There is further information for Fountains Abbey).


"FOUNTAINS HALL, in the township of Markington, and parish of Ripon; 3½ miles W. of Ripon.

On the dissolution of religious houses, Sir Richard Gresham purchased Fountains Abbey of the King, with the part of the lands belonging to it, the site of Swine Abbey and the Monastery of Nunkeeling, with their bells, for £1163. Sir Richard sold Fountains, with some of the lands, to Sir Stephen Proctor, who built Fountains Hall out of its ruins. In 1627, it was in the possession of Richard Ewens, Esq. of South Cowton, whose daughter and sole heiress married John Messenger, Esq. of Newsham. It remained in the Messenger family till the year 1767, when John Michael Messenger, Esq. sold it to William Aislabie, Esq. of Studley, for £18,000."


"GIVENDALE, 4 farm-houses in the liberty and parish of Ripon, lower division of Claro; 2½ miles SW. of Ripon, 3½ from Boroughbridge. Pop. 31."


"GOWBUSK, a farm-house in the township of Sawley, liberty and parish of Ripon; 6 miles SW. of Ripon."


"GRANTLEY, a township, in the liberty and parish of Ripon, lower division of Claro; (Grantley Hall, the seat of Lord Grantley) 5 miles from Ripon and 5 miles W. of Ripley, 6½ from Pateley Bridge. Pop. 233." (There is further information for Grantley).


"GRASSFIELD HOUSE, a single house in the township of Dacre with Bewerley, and parish of Ripon; half a mile from Pateley Bridge."


"GREENHOW HILL, in the township of Dacre with Bewerley, and parish of Ripon, lower-division of Claro; 3 miles W. of Pateley Bridge, 7 from Grassington, 14 from Ripon.

A large straggling village, upon an eminence, west of Pateley Bridge, abounding with lead Mines, and in which there are rarely less than five hundred inhabitants of this village employed. The Mines are Sunside, Prosperous, Providence, Cock hill, and Merryfield, which produce annually about 2000 tons."


"HARD GATE, a part of Bishop Thornton, in the parish of Ripon, 3 miles N. of Ripley."


"HARDCASTLE, (Far and Near), 2 farm-houses in the township of Dacre cum Bewerley, and parish of Ripon; 4 miles W. of Pateley bridge, 14 from Kettlewell."


"HEWICK BRIDGE, in the parish of Ripon, wapentake of Claro, and liberty of Ripon; 1½ miles SE. of Ripon. Pop. 77."


"HEYSHAW, (or Hayshaw) a hamlet in the parish of Ripon; 1½ miles East of Dacre Banks."


"HIGH WOODS, 2 farm-houses in the township of Sawley, and parish of Ripon; 1 mile from Pateley Bridge."


"HOB GREEN, a single house in the township of Markington with Waller thwaite, and parish of Ripon; 4½ miles from Ripon."


"HOLLIN HALL, (the seat of Henry Richard Wood, Esq.) in the township of Aismunderby with Bondgate, and parish of Ripon, lower-division of Claro; 2½ miles from Ripon, 5½ from Ripley."


"HUNGATE, a hamlet in the township of Sawley, and parish of Ripon; 5 miles SW. of Ripon, 7 from Pateley Bridge."


"INGERTHORPE, in the parish of Ripon, lower-division of Claro, liberty of Ripon; 4 miles S. of Ripon, 8 from Knaresborough. Pop. 44."


"KILL HILL, (or Little Kiln Hill) in the parish of Ripon, and wapentake of Claro; 1 mile E. of Pateley ridge."


"LITTLETHORPE, or THORPE, in the township of Whitcliffe with Thorpe, and liberty and parish of Ripon, lower-division of Claro; (the residence of Major Brooke) 1½ miles from Ripon, 6 from Boroughbridge. Pop. included in Whitcliffe."


"LUCAN HOUSE, a single house in the township of Sharow, and parish of Ripon; 1½ miles from Ripon."


"MARKINGTON, in the liberty and parish of Ripon, lower-division of Claro; 4 miles N. of Ripley, 4½ from Ripon. Pop. including Wallerthwaite, 457, which being united, form a township.

Here is a School founded by Mary Reynard, in 1795, who directed that the Master should read a sermon, liturgy, &c. to the inhabitants of the village every Sunday afternoon. She endowed it with £50. by subscriptions and other means. The master's salary amounts to 6 or £7. Mrs. Lawrence, of Studley Hall, gives £4. per annum, for educating twelve children. The master receives six free scholars from Markington and Ingerthorpe. --Commis. Report."


"MICKLEHOW HILL, or Michael How Hill, in the township of Markington with Wallerthwaite, and parish of Ripon, lower division of Claro; 5 miles SW. of Ripon, 9 from Knaresborough." (There is further information for Micklehow Hill).


"MULWITH, a farm-house in the township of Newby with Mulwith, and liberty and parish of Ripon, lower-division of Claro; 3 miles W. of Boroughbridge, 4 from Ripon. Pop. included in Newby."


"NEWBY HALL, (the seat of the Right Hon. Lord Grantham) in the township of Mulwith with Newby, and liberty and parish of Ripon, lower-division of Claro; 3 miles SE. of Ripon and Boroughbridge, 10 from Knaresborough. Pop. including Mulwith, 52, which being united, form a township." (There is further information for Newby Hall).


"NORTH LEES, a hamlet in the township of North Stainley with Slenningford, and liberty and parish of Ripon; 2 miles N. of Ripon."


"NORTH PASTURE, 4 farm-houses in the township of Sawley, and parish of Ripon; 3 miles E. of Pateley Bridge, 9 from Ripon."


"NORTH STAINLEY, in the liberty and parish of Ripon, lower division of Claro; 3 miles from Ripon, 7 from Masham, 10 from Bedale. Pop. including Sleningford, 285, which being united form a township."


"NUNWICK, 4 farm-houses in the liberty and parish of Ripon, lower-division of Claro; 2 miles N. of Ripon, 7½ from Boroughbridge, 10½ from Bedale. Pop. 28. One house and farm at Howgrave, (in Kirklington parish), belong to this township."


"OLD SLENINGFORD, in the township of North Stainley with Sleningford, and liberty and parish of Ripon; (the seat of Thomas Kitchingman Staveley, Esq.) 4½ miles from Ripon, 5¾ from Masham. Pop. included in North Stainley."


"PATELEY BRIDGE, in the township of High and Low Bishopside and parish of Ripon, lower division of Claro, liberty of Ripon; 9 miles NW. of Ripley, 10 from Grassington, 11 from Ripon, 14 from Knaresborough and Harrogate, 15 from Skipton, Masham, and Otley, 16 from Kettlewell, 32 from York, 224 from London. Market, Saturday. Fairs, Easter and Whitsun Eve; May 11; September 17, (if on a Saturday,) if not, on the first Saturday after; Monday after October 10; and Christmas Eve; for cattle, woollen cloth, pedlary ware, &c. Principal Inns, the Crown, and George. Pop. included in High and Low Bishopside. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Mary, in the deanry of Ripon, value, p.r. !£87. 11s. 4d. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Ripon.

This is a small market-town situated upon the banks of the river Nidd, and may be considered as the capital of Nidderdale. It derives considerable wealth from the lead mines on the opposite side of the river, at Greenhow Hill, &c. A little above the town, there is a lead mill, where the manufacture of sheet lead, and lead pipes is carried on to a great extent. The market was granted to the Archbishop of York, in the 18th Edward II. when the King was at York. The town consisting of one street, is tolerably well built."


"POTGATE HOUSE, a farm-house in the township of North Stainley with Slenningford, and parish of Ripon; 4 miles from Ripon."


"RAVENTOFTS HALL, a farm-house in the township of Bishop Thornton, and parish of Ripon; 4 miles from Ripley, 6 from Ripon."


"RISPLITH, a hamlet in the township of Sawley, and liberty and parish of Ripon; 5 miles from Pateley Bridge, 6 SW. of Ripon."


"SAWLEY, in the liberty and parish of Ripon, lower-division of Claro; (Sawley Hall, the seat of Mrs. Norton) 6 miles SW. of Ripon and Pateley Bridge. Pop. 490. The Church is a perpetual curacy, in the deanry of Ripon, value, p.r. !£71. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Ripon.

In the time of Henry III. this estate was the property of Thomas de Sawley, whose heiress married Robert de Brereton: it afterwards passed into the ancient and honourable family of Norton."


"SHAROW, in the liberty and parish of Ripon, lower-division of Claro; (Sharow Lodge, the seat of Mrs. Cayley,) 1 mile E. of Ripon, 6 from Boroughbridge. Pop. 103."


"SHAW MILLS, in the township of Bishop Thornton and parish of Ripon, lower division of Claro; 7 miles from Ripon and Knaresborough.

This is a new village on the banks of a small beck, called, Shaw Beck, and the principal place within the township. Here the Bishop of York calls his courts for Thornton."


"SKELDING, (or Skelden) in the parish of Ripon, lower-division of Claro; 5 miles from Ripon, 6 from Pateley Bridge, 8 from Masham. Pop. 56."


"SKELTON ON URE, in the liberty and parish of Ripon, lower division of Claro; 2½ miles NW. of Boroughbridge, 3½ from Ripon. Pop. 314. The Church is a perpetual curacy, in the deanry of Ripon, value, p.r. !£78. 8s. 2d. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Ripon."


"SLENINGFORD, in township of North Stainley with Sleningford, and liberty and parish of Ripon; (Sleningford Hall, the seat of Col. Dalton; the Grange, the seat of John Dalton, Jun. Esq.) 4½ miles NNW. of Ripon, 5¾ from Masham. Pop. included in North Stainley."


"STRAW HOUSE, a farm-house in the township of Sutton, and parish of Ripon; 1½ miles NW. of Ripon."


"STUDLEY ROGER, in the liberty and parish of Ripon, lower division of Claro; 1½ miles W. of Ripon, 7½ from Boroughbridge, 8 from Ripley. Pop. 144."


"SUNLEY RAINS, a farm-house in the township of Studley Roger, and parish of Ripon; 1½ miles W. of Ripon."


"SUTTON, in the liberty and parish of Ripon, lower-division of Claro; 2 miles NW. of Ripon, 8 from Masham. Pop. 86."


"SUTTON GRANGE, a farm-house in the township of Sutton, and parish of Ripon; 2 miles NW. of Ripon."


"THORPE LODGE, (the residence of the Rev. William J. Waddilove,) in the township of Whitcliffe with Thorpe, and parish of Ripon; 1¾ mile from Ripon."


"WALLERTHWAITE, 2 or 3 farm-houses in the township of Markington with Wallerthwaite, and liberty and parish of Ripon, lower-division of Claro; 4 miles from Ripley, 4½ S. of Ripon. Pop. included in Markington."


"WESTWICK, 3 farm-houses in the liberty and parish of Ripon, lower division of Claro; 2 miles W. of Boroughbridge, 4 from Ripon:, 7 from Knaresborough. Pop. 27."


"WHITCLIFFE, 2 farm-houses in the liberty and parish of Ripon, lower division of Claro; 1½ miles S. of Ripon, 7½ from Boroughbridge. Pop. including Littlethorpe, 157, which being united, form a township."


"WHITEHOUSES, a hamlet in the township of High and Low Bishopside, and parish liberty and parish of Ripon; 1 mile E. of Pateley Bridge."


"WILSILL, or Wilsell or Wilsall, in the township of High and Low Bishopside, and liberty and parish of Ripon, lower-division of Claro; 2 miles from Pateley Bridge, 7 from Ripley, 9½ from Ripon."


"WINKSLEY, in the parish of Ripon, lower-division of Claro; 5 miles W. of Ripon, 6 from Masham. Pop. 176. The Church is a perpetual curacy, in the deanry of Ripon, value, p.r. £70. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Ripon."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016