Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for DELPH: Delph Congregational Church History up to 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

DELPH: Delph Congregational Church History up to 1868.

DELPH.* (PRESBYTERIAN, NOW CONGREGATIONAL.)

The chapel at Delph was erected, 1746, by some members of the church at Greenacres for the convenience of distance. It is endowed. After the erection of the chapel, the congregation suffered much persecution from its High Church neighbours.

The first minister was Rev. JAMES BURGESS, Who left the church of Greenacres to settle here. He was an evangelical and faithful preacher, and possessed some knowledge of medicine, which he made useful to his neighbours. He removed afterwards to Oldham.

  • 1760. Rev. THOMAS MORGAN (from Wales). During his residence, much uneasiness and contention occurred, probably without any substantial reason. Mr. Morgan left for Morley in 1763.
  • Rev. THOMAS GURNELL (Heckmondwike Acy.). His zealous labours were very successful. He died 1769, and was buried in the chapel. A monument is erected to his memory.
  • A gallery was erected during Mr. Gurnell's ministry.
  • 1769. Rev. WILLIAM ARMITAGE succeeded Mr. Gurnell. After about three years, he removed to Chester, 1772.
  • 1773. Rev. HENRY HUNT (from Lancashire). His ministry was very useful, and continued thirteen years, when he removed in consequence of some disagreement (1786).
  • An invitation was now given to Rev. S. Lowell, of Brighouse, which was declined.
  • 1786. Rev. NOAH BLACKBURN (from Tockholes). He was converted by the reading of a sermon of Mr. Whitaker's. He was twelve months at Cave, but was not ordained at that place.
  • In 1791, the old chapel was enlarged. Messrs. Parsons and Cockin preached at the re-opening. Mr. Blackburn was found a corpse one Sunday evening after his usual services. The last years of his life were equal to any preceding period for the success of his labours. His ministry lasted thirty-four years. He died, May 4, 1821.
  • 1824. Rev. JOHN HOLROYD. He resigned the pastorate in 1848, and settled at Denton. Mr. Holroyd died Nov., 1849.
  • Rev. JOHN GEORGE came to Delph in 1851, and removed, 1856, to Manchester.
  • 1861. Rev. ANDREW FIELDER SHAWYER (Rotherham Coll.), from Pateley Bridge. He is the present minister (in 1868).

NOTES:-
* By aid of Rev. A. F. Shawyer.


Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.