"ROSSINGTON, is a small village and a parish-town, in the Soke of Doncaster, about 5 miles S. by E. from that town, and 4 1/2 N.W. from Bawtry. In the cemetery of the parish church are several good monuments, and near the entrance to the choir, lie the remains of James Boswell, styled the King of the Gipsies, who died in January, 1708. Annual visits were formerly made by gipsies to his grave, who, amongst other ceremonies, used to pour a flagon of ale on it. The living of Rossington is a rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. George Henry Bower. the parish contained, in 1831, 325 inhabitants."