"ROSSINGTON, a parish and township in the soke of Doncaster, West Riding county York, 4¾ miles S.E. of Doncaster, its post town, and 4 N.W. of Bawtry. It is a station on the Great Northern Railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the S. side of the river Torne, which is crossed by several bridges. The surface is of a hilly nature, and the land is fertile, with a soil of sand, gravel, and clay, and subsoil of the same. Mr. Lumley's hounds meet in this parish. The manor was for a long period the seat of the Fossard and Mauley families, and was granted by Henry VII. to the corporation of Doncaster, from whom it was purchased by the late J. Brown, Esq., of Harehills Grove, near Leeds, in 1838. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £600, and the glebe comprises 65 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £659. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, has a pinnacled tower containing three bells. Boswell, the gipsy king, was buried in the churchyard in 1708. There-is a National school for both sexes, founded and endowed by the Rev. William Plaxton in 1650. Rossington Hall is the principal residence. J. Brown, Esq., is lord of the manor and sole landowner."