|Yorkshire||West RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"ROSSINGTON, a parish-town, in the lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, soke of Doncaster; (the seat of the Rev. James Stovin, D.D.) 6 miles SE. of Doncaster; 5½ from Bawtry, 42 from York. Pop. 383. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Michael, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, £11. 1s. 5½d. Patrons, the Mayor and Burgesses of Doncaster.
The Manor of Doncaster, with an estate of 2,000 acres of land, belongs to the Corporation, who, some time back, built twelve Alms Houses for the aged of both sexes.
In the church yard, was a stone, the two ends of which are now remaining, where was interred the body of James Bosvill the King of the Gypsies, who died January 30, 1708. For a number of years, it was a custom of Gypsies from the south, to visit his tomb annually, and there perform some of their accustomed rites; one of which was to pour a flagon of ale upon the grave. --Miller's History of Doncaster.
Here is a Free School, founded as early as 1652."
"HESLEY, a single house in the township and parish of Rossington; 3½ miles from Bawtry, 6½ from Doncaster."
"ROSSINGTON BRIDGE, an inn, in the township and parish of Rossington; 4½ miles SE. of Doncaster and 4½ from Bawtry."
"SHOOTERS HILL, (the seat of J.C. Hilton, Esq.) in the township and parish of Rossington; 3¼ miles from Bawtry; 6¼ from Doncaster."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]