Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: GREASBROUGH.     Church dedication: HOLY TRINITY.

Area, vide Rotherham. Strafforth and Tickhill wapentake, S. D. -Population, 1,290, vide Rotherham; Chapel-room, 800; Net value, £182.

Patron, Earl Fitzwilliam.

Impropriator, Lord Howard.

Valued in 1707, at £5. 10s. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 458, it is stated : " Without a minister, and only a maintenance of 58s., which was heretofore given for ever. To be made a parish, and Schooles, Nether Hawke, and Morley, in the parish of Rotherham, to be annexed thereto ;" and in 1818, at £110 per annum.

Augmented, in 1718, with £200, by lot ; in 1722, with £200, to meet a joint benefaction of £200 from the Hon. Thomas Wentworth and Thomas Wentworth, jun., Esq.; in 1730, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Thomas Lord Malton ; and in 1812, with £400 from the Parliamentary grant, by lot.

3rd May 1788, faculty granted to rebuild the Chancel.

The Church was rebuilt under the Parliamentary grant. Architecture Gothic, with tower ; grant, £2,000; first stone laid 29th September 1826 ; completed, vide 9th Report, page 4. Will accommodate 785 persons. Free seats, 415.

The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, " being a mere cottage, and inhabited by a labourer ;" and is still unfit.

The Registers for baptisms commence in 1747, and for burials in 1755.

An inclosure was made in 1727 by the lord of the manor and the freeholders.

Charities:
Poor's Estate. Cottage and 1a. 1r. of land, devised, in 1636, by Jane Horsfall, for the relief of the poor.

Rev. Dr. William Spencer's dole, by deed, dated 19th August 1713. Rentcharge of £5 per annum, distributed among poor widows not receiving regular parochial relief.

Sir Thomas Wentworth's charity, in 1716. £3. 10s. per annum, paid by Earl Fitzwilliam (together with a voluntary addition), for teaching fourteen poor children, who are also clothed at his lordship's expense.

Mallory's charity, vide General Charities. About £3 per annum is distributed among the poor at Easter eve.

The Common Lands Payment. The lands set out for the poor on the inclosure, being thirty acres, and which only produced £14 per annum, were sold in 1766 to the Marquis of Rockingham, in consideration of the grant of an annuity of £20. The annuity is added to the poor rates. -Vide 18th Report, page 637.

Post town: Rotherham.


References:
Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 247. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 28.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.