Area, 12,810 acres. Strafforth and Tickhill wapentake, S.D. -Population, 10,417 *1; Church-room, 2,000 *2; Net value, £170. -This was a Saxon parish, and is supposed to have comprised Ecclesfield, Sheffield, Handsworth, Treeton, and Whiston.
The Church was a Rectory of medieties, the one belonged to the Lords Vesey, and was given by John de Vesey to the Abbey of Rufford, and the other supposed to be given by the Lexingtons to the Abbey of Clervaux, in the diocese of Lyons, in France, founded by St. Bernard, who held the same, appropriated by the Pope for many years, and in their mediety was a Vicar ; and the Abbey of Clervaux, for a pension of £20 per annum, granted their mediety to the Abbey of Rufford, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 24th September 1349.
Patron and impropriator, Lord Howard of Effingham.
There was a Chapel on the Bridge, of which a plate is given by Mr. Hunter, and also five Chantries.
In Pope Nicholas's taxation, the mediety of the Abbey of Clervaux is valued at £16. 13s. 4d.; the Vicarage at £5; Roger's mediety at £21. 13.9. 4d., and a pension to the Priory of Lewes of £1. 6s. 8d.; in the King's books the Vicarage is valued at £16. 8s. 6d.; Synodals, 4s. 6d.; Procurations, 7s.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 453, " Vicarage house and £37. 11s. 4d. in money, viz. £16. 13s. 4d. from the impropriator, £14. 4s. 8d. from the Crown, and £6. 13s. 4d. from the Crown for the assistant minister;" it is also recommended that Gillthwaite be given to Whiston.
Augmented in 1809 with £200, and in 1827 with £800 from the Parliamentary grant, -both by lot.
The occupiers of lands lying in the township of Kimberworth, and out of the hamlets of Thorpe and Scholes, in this parish, were by custom bound to set out their tithes of corn, peas, and beans, by every tenth shock or stook, each shock or stook containing ten sheaves *3.
The Rector is bound to pay a pension of £20 a year to the Dean and Canons of St. George's Chapel in Windsor *4.
Inclosure Acts were passed 2nd Geo. III. (Rotherham) ; 5th Geo. III. (Mars-brough) ; 36th Geo. III. (Kimberworth) ; 37th Geo. III. (Dalton); 52nd Geo. III. (Brinsworth) ; and 54th Geo. III. (Kimberworth); which may affect the above customs.
The Church is one of the most beautiful in the diocese, and is of the age of Edward IV.
22nd September 1743, faculty to new pew the Church.
12th July 1746, ditto to alter the situation of the pulpit and font, to take down certain lofts, and to new seat the Church.
1st August 1760, faculty to rebuild certain galleries.
8th June 1776, ditto to erect three galleries, and to alter the situation of the pulpit.
12th July 1792, ditto to take down the old wall of the church-yard, to lay part of the church-yard to the street, and to erect new walls.
26th May 1796, an additional burial-ground was consecrated.
18th November 1815, faculty to erect an organ and gallery.
For the inscriptions, monuments, and catalogue of Vicars, see Hunter's South Yorkshire.
For the endowed grammar school, see Gilbert's Liber Scholasticus, page 305.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register books commence in 1556, but the entries of marriages are imperfect from 1649 to 1754.
Mary Bellamy's charity, by will, dated 28th January 1780. Endowment, 34a. 1r. of land; £223. 6s. 10s. new four per cents. There are almshouses for four widows, who receive among them quarterly £12. 0s. 6d.; and £10 a year is given to the poor. Residue for repairs, &c.
Estates and Charities of the feoffees of the common lands. -The common lands are first noticed in a deed dated 1st September 26th Elizabeth. The number of feoffees is fixed at twelve, of whom the lord of the manor and the vicar are always one. The feoffees are chosen by the £10 rate-payers. The estate consists of lands, houses, rents, &c. producing at the time of the Report £564 per annum.
The following annual payments were made out of the rental:-
Thomas Dickenson's rent-charge, £1. 10s. to the poor ; Cutforthay's dole, £2. 10s. in bread; Vicar, for sermon on St. George's day, £2, and two annual gifts for sermons, £2; putting out two apprentices, £8; to four widows, £4 ; Bellamy's dole, £8; Kay's dole, £1. 12s.; Foljambe's dole, £1; Field's dole, £1. 10s.; Tooker's bequest to poor housekeepers, £1. 10s.; to the master of the grammar-school, £8; Vicar for a sermon on St. Thomas's day, £2; and Robert Heppenstall's gift, by will, 23d September, 1812, the interest of £47. (£1. 17s.) in bread to the poor ; to poor people in the town and neighbourhood, in money and coals, £78. 1s. 6d.; clothing for sundry poor persons, £12. 10s. 6d.; Rotherham Dispensary, £21; Sheffield Infirmary, £10. 10s.; Bible Society, £3. 3s.; Benevolent Society, £1. 1s.; Sunday Schools, £5. 5s.;-total, £171. 13s. The residue of the income is laid out for occasional purposes, concerning the general interest of the inhabitants and the public benefit, and improvement of the poor.
Grammar School. The master is appointed by the feoffees. Endowment, allotment of three acres of land ; £8 per annum from the feoffees; £3 per annum, rent of allotment ; Okes's gift, rentcharge of £2 per annum; and Crown rent of £10. 15s. 4d. per annum. The school is kept up as a grammar school, for the education of boys of the town of Rotherham as free scholars, in classical learning ; but the number of those who resort to the school for such instruction is usually very small.
The Charity School. Reported to have been established by a person named Scott. Since 1775, it has been under the management of the feoffees of the common lands. Twenty-eight boys and twenty girls, nominated by the feoffees of the common lands, are clothed and brought up at the school, and instructed in reading, writing, and arithmetic. -Endowment: 19a. 3r. 11p. of land; pew rents £5.4s. per annum ; rent-charge £4. 3s. per annum; and £20 per annum from Ellis's charity. Vide General Charities.
The great dole. Rent of 10a. 0r. 33r. of land, let at the time of the Report for £44. 2s. per annum; six houses, let for £12. 0s. 6d, per annum ; and two rents-charge, £4. 10s. per annum. £2. 12s. given annually in bread; residue in money among poor persona on the 29th December in every year. The Commissioners did not consider that part of the property was advantageously let or managed.
William Malin's gift. Rent-charge of £1 for poor widows and widowers. Distributed with the great dole.
Thomas Taylor's gift, by deed and will, both dated in April 1667. Rent of a messuage, &c. 40s. a year to the Vicar; residue of the rent to be divided among eight poor widows.
Mallory's gift. Vide General Charities. £12. 1s. per annum, among poor people, in sums of 1s. and 2s.
Downes's gift. £1 per annum rentcharge, for bread to the poor on Christmas day.
Mrs. Mowers gift. Rent-charge of £6. 10s. per annum, for weekly bread to the poor.
George Beardsall's gift, by will, 5th February 1702. Rent-charge of £6 per annum, to be divided among twenty-four impotent, old, blind, and poor persons not able to work. This is subject to the costs of a suit in Chancery (upwards of £200, taxed in 1822), and therefore a considerable time must elapse before any distribution can be made.
Hollis's School. Vide General Charities. £20 a year is paid to the master of a school attached to the Presbyterian chapel, and the master has also the use of a school-house. Between twenty and thirty free scholars in reading and writing. The school was reported to be satisfactorily conducted.
TOWNSHIP OF CATCLIFFE.
Shipley's charity. Dwelling-house, orchard, garden, and allotment of thirty-three perches. Rent distributed among the poor, with a preference to widows.
George Beardsall's charity, by will, dated 5th February 1702. Rent-charge of £10 per annum, for teaching ten free scholars in reading and writing.
TOWNSHIP OF DALTON.
Lady Mallory's dole. 35s. per annum, to be distributed in small sums.
Dorothy Taylor's dole, by will, in 1671. 26s., of which 12s. is for teaching a poor girl to read, knit, and sew, and the residue to be given to the poor in small sums.
TOWNSHIP OF KIMBERWORTH.
The school and dole money. The master has the occupation of a school-house. also £4 a year, which is probably the interest of £80 formerly appropriated to the use of the school. £3. 6s. per annum, being a moiety of the rent of two cottages and premises, formerly appropriated to the use of the school, the other half being distributed among the poor; and £1. 12s. a year paid under the will of William Brailsford, dated 18th February 1784.
Earl of Effingham's charity, in 1710. Interest of £20 for teaching two poor children. -Vide 18th Report, page 627. A post town.
Torre's MS. page 1093. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. pages 246. 328. Bodleian MS., Nos. 5078 and 5101. Nonae Roll, page 223. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 1. Hunter's Hallamshire, page 5. Rhodes, page 38. Hutton, page 10. Bray's Tour, page 326. Mon. Ang. vol. vi. page 1441.
*1 Viz. Brinsworth, 227; Catcliffe, 196; Dalton, 187; Greasbrough, 1,290; Kimberworth, 4,031; Orgreave, 35; Rotherham, 4,083; and Tinsley, 368. The Population is stated in the Ecclesiastical Return of 1834 at 1,417 only, but which is probably a typographical error. The parish of Rotherham is partly in the north division of Strafforth and Tickhill wapentake. In the townships of Rotherham and Tinsley, upwards of 100 men are employed in coal mines.
*2 Estimated in 1818 at 2,300.
*3 Lord Effingham v. Turner, 2 Wood, 661.
*4 The Dean and Canons of Windsor v. Lord Effingham, 4 Wood, 267.
ROTHERHAM COLLEGE, founded by Archbishop Rotherham, and suppressed by King Edward VI.
Mr. Torre, in page 1105, gives a particular account of this College. See also an interesting account of it in Mr. Hunter's Hallamshire.
Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 5.