Area, 8210 acres. Agbrigg wapentake, L.D. -Population, 6,635 *2; Church-room, 1,800 *3; Net value, £843.
The Rev. R. H. Brandling is the present patron.
This Church was given by Robert de Lacy to Nostell Priory, and appropriated thereto, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 15th June A.D. 1254 ; and a new ordination was made 19 Kal. July, A.D. 1282.
At the Dissolution, the advowson was granted to the Talbots. Impropriators, several proprietors.
In Pope Nicholas's first taxation, the Church was valued at £18. 13s. 4d., and the Vicarage at £8 per annum, but which in his new taxation are respectively reduced to £13. 6s. 8d. and £3. 6s. 8d.; in the King's books at £19. 12s. 11d. per annum, after deducting for Synodals 4s. and Procurations 7s. 6d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 288, at £30 per annum.
Three Chantries are mentioned in the Valor. Ecc.
" The Vicar of Rothwell is entitled to the tithe of hay, and to all other small tithes arising on the ancient farm called Rothwell Haigh estate in kind." Ord v. Clarke, 4 Wood. page 480.
Inclosure Acts were passed in the 25th, 36th, and 49th Geo. III.
Dr. Whitaker gives a catalogue of the Vicars.
The glebe house was certified in 1818 to be unfit for residence, " being an entire ruin with the exception of one room ;" and in 1834 a return was made that there was no glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1538. Chasm, 1556 to 1569.
William Lyley's gift, by will, dated 3rd November 1602. Rentcharge of £5.
Edm. Schollfield's gift. £1. 4s. per annum.
Robert Glover's gift. 18s. per annum. Roger Swift's gifts. 16s. and 14s. per annum.
Charles Robinson's gift. 20s. per annum.
Mr. Foster's gift. 26s. per annum in bread, viz. sixpennyworth each Sunday. The other sums are given in money.
Poor's money. Interest of £50, given by Ann Bubwith, Walter Calverley, Ann Wetherell, and Roger Swift. -Vide 16th Report, page 410.
Post town: Leeds.
Vid. Torre's MS. page 615. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 168. Mon. Angl. vol. vi. page 93. Burton's Mon. Eborac. page 306. Bodleian, MS. page 5101. Loidis et Elmete, page 241. Scatcherd's Morley, page 317.
*1 So called, says Dr. Whitaker, from a rapid well near the church.
*2 Viz. Carlton with Lofthouse, 1,463; Middleton, 976 ; Oulton with Woodlesford, 1,496; Rothwell, 2,638; Thorpe, 62. The mines in this parish afford employment to 380 labourers.
*3 Estimated in 1818 at 2,000. 804 additional sittings (of which 644 are free) have been procured, towards which the Society made a grant of £800.
MIDDLETON. -(Parish of Rothwell.) Here was a Chantry at the altar of the Virgin, which was valued at the Dissolution at £2. 17s. 2d. per annum.