"ROTHWELL, is a village and township, in the parish of its name, and in the lower division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, West Riding, six miles n. by. e. from Wakefield ; situate about half a mile to the east of the turnpike road leading from that town to Leeds. This parish, which is of great antiquity, derived its name from the well near the church, adjacent to which are the remains of a castle, or mansion house. The woollen manufacture is carried on here to a limited extent. The places of worship are, the parish church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, and a chapel for Wesleyan methodists. The living of Rothwell is a discharged vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. John Bell ; the Rev. James Horrox is the present curate. The parish contained in 1831, 6,635 inhabitants, and the township 2,638 of that number."
"OULTON, with Woodlesford, is a township in the parish of Rothwell, the village, which is one mile east from Rothwell, and five s.w. from Leeds, is a genteel and agreeable place, with some pretensions to trade, having two respectable tanneries, three malting concerns, and in the neighbourhood are some quarries of excellent stone. Here is an elegant church, erected by the late John Blayds, Esq., and opened in December 1829 ; it is in the Gothic style of architecture, with a lofty spire, containing a fine toned bell, weighing upwards of two tons. The living is in the gift of the Archbishop of York, and incumbency of the vicar of Rothwell, to which parish it is a chapel of ease ; the present curate is the Rev. John C. Craig. The methodists have also a chapel in the village. Population of the township in 1831, 1,496."