Area, 12,710 acres. Staincross wapentake. - Population, 3,690 *1; Church-room, 600 *2 ; Net value, £166. -An ancient Saxon parish, but originally part of Silkstone parish. One mediety was given to Monk Bretton Priory by William de Neville, and the other by John Mal-herbe and Maude his wife, and appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained, 4th Kal., April 1234. This ordination was very ample. In 1263, the Monks got back the corn tithe of Cudworth, and in 1300 or 1301, there was a new Ordination ; and at the Dissolution, the Advowson was given by the Crown to the See of York.
Patron and impropriator, the Archbishop of York.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £28 the Rectory, and £13. 6s. 8d. the Vicarage ; in the King's books, at £17. 3s. 4d. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 416, it is stated : " Vicarage, £21. 13s. 4d., and five marks from the Archbishop's Lessee ;" and in 1818, certified at £107 per annum.
Augmented in 1814, with £800; and in 1821, with £200, both from the Parliamentary grant, by lot ; and in 1834, with £200 and £200 from the Parliamentary grant. to meet benefaction of a stipend of £30 per annum from Edward, Lord Archbishop of York.
For the inscriptions and catalogue of Vicars, see Hunter's South Yorkshire.
19th May 1792, faculty granted to re-pew the Church.
2nd January 1795, confirmation of allotment of pews.
There was a Chantry in this Church, and also Chapels at Chevett, Notton, Carlton, and Cudworth.
Inclosure Acts were passed 12th Geo. III., and 49th Geo. III. (Cudworth.)
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Registers for baptisms and burials commence in 1588, and for marriages in 1563.
The Free Grammar School, mentioned in a deed, dated 16th July, 5th Jac. I., as of ancient foundation. Endowment : 16a. 0r. 27p., let, at the time of the Report, for £68. 10s. per annum; 2a. 3r. 15p., in the hands of the master; crown-rent, £4. 6s. 11d. per annum ; and interest of £13. Between thirty and forty free scholars, in Latin and Greek, English, and writing. A quarterage is paid for arithmetic.
Poor's Estate. Rent of land (quantity not stated), £13 per annum, and house, £5 per annum, distributed among the poor.
William Pennell's dole, in 1582. Rentcharge of £2 per annum, distributed among the poor people of the parish.
Lady Bolles's charity, by will, dated 4th May 1662. Interest of £100 for apprenticing poor children of the parish, exclusive of the township of Cudworth ; and the rent of five acres of land, to be applied in like manner for Cudworth township.
TOWNSHIP OF ROYSTON. - Thomas Wood's gift, in 1817. Interest of £100 to be distributed among the poor.
TOWNSHIP OF CUDWORTH. -William Poppleton's charity, in 1747. Rent of seven acres of land, received by the schoolmaster, subject to an outpayment of 28s. per annum to the poor. Seventeen free scholars in reading and writing.
Thomas Woodhead's gift, in 1796. Rent of cottage, for teaching three poor children to read and write.
Joseph Ramsden's gift, in 1806. Interest of £50, for teaching four poor children to read.
William Scales's gift, by will, dated 12th February 1780. Interest of £200 for such of the poor as had no parochial relief. In 1825, it was resolved to purchase a close, and the money was called in and lodged in a bank at Wakefield, and was remaining therein at the time the house failed. A very considerable dividend will, however, have been subsequently received.
Sir George Wood's gift. Moiety of £10 per annum, for the poor.
Bamforth's and Lady Bolles's gifts. -See the account of these Charities. -Vide 17th Report, page 755.
Post town: Barnsley.
Torre's MS., page 1083. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 267. Bodleian MS., No. 5,101. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 379. Nonae Roll, page 224.
*1 Viz. Carlton, 340; Chevett, 38; Cudworth, 451; Monk-Bretton, 1,394 ; Notton, 317 ; Roystone, 597; and Woolley, 553. -In 1834, the Population was returned at 3,149.
*2 Estimated in 1818 at 1,000.
CHEVETT. -It seems there was anciently a Chapel here, for in the endowment it is said, " Neither shall the Vicar be tied to any service in the Chapel of Chevett."
Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 392.
MULVELEY. -Here was also a Chapel, in which the Prior and Convent of Monk-Bretton are, by the endowment, directed to find a Chaplain, perpetually to celebrate divine offices therein.