Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ROYSTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ROYSTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"ROYSTON, a parish in the wapentake of STAINCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelries of Monk-Bretton, and Woolley with Emley, and the townships of Carlton, Chevett, Cudworth. Notton, and Royston, and containing 3126 inhabitants, of which number, 549 are in the township of Royston, 4 miles N.N.E. from Barnesley. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £ 17 3. 4., endowed with £1000 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The free grammar school is endowed with an annuity of £4. 6. 11. from the revenue of the duchy of Lancaster, also with a house and land granted by the crown in 1605; the total annual income is £82. 15. 1., for which the master is bound to teach the classics and writing, but for arithmetic he receives a quarterage from the children, whose average number is about thirty-five. At Monk-Bretton are the remains of an ancient monastery."


"CARLTON, a township in the parish of ROYSTON, wapentake of STAINCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.N.E. from Barnesley, containing 326 inhabitants."


"CHEVETT, a township in the parish of ROYSTON, wapentake of STAINCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK., 4 miles S.S.E. from Wakefield, containing 27 inhabitants."


"CUDWORTH, a township in the parish of ROYSTON, wapentake of STAINCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles E.N.E. from Barnesley, containing 487 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A school has been endowed by a bequest from William Poppleton, in 1747, of £50 for the erection of a schoolroom, and £ 300 to support the master; the income is £ 12. 12. per annum, for which seventeen children are educated."


"MONK BRETTON, a chapelry in the parish of ROYSTON, wapentake of STAINCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles N.E. from Barnesley, containing 916 inhabitants. A Cluniac monastery, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, was founded at the commencement of the reign of Henry II., the revenue of which, in the 26th of Henry VIII., amounted to £323. 8. 2. An almshouse, comprising six tenements, was founded, as it is thought, by Dame Mary Talbot, in 1654; the inmates are appointed by the agent of Sir George Wombwell, Bart., who allows 50s. annually to each, and'repairs the buildings."


"NOTTON, a township in the parish of ROYSTON, wapentake of STAINCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N. from Barnesley, containing 339 inhabitants."


"WOOLLEY, a chapelry in the parish of ROYSTON, wapentake of STAINCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.W. from Barnesley, containing, with the township of Emley, 482 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, endowed with £15 per annum and £200 private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of W. Wentworth, Esq. Sixteen poor children are instructed for £11.11. a year, arising from the rent of certain land bequeathed by Nicholas Burley, with a trifling annuity from the parish fund."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]