Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ROYSTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ROYSTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"ROYSTON, (or Roystone), a parish and township in the wapentake of Staincross, West Riding county York, 4 miles N.E. of Barnsley, its post town, and 6 S. of Wakefield. It is a station on the North Midland railway. The village is situated on an eminence near the Barnsley canal, and on the North Midland railway, which passes through a tunnel at Chevet 700 yards long. The parish, which is very extensive, comprises the townships of Monk-Bretton, Carlton, Chevet, Cudworth, Netton, Royston, and Woolley. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The district abounds with coal, and there are some extensive quarries of freestone. The soil is productive, and the land in good cultivation. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £166, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient structure with a square embattled tower crowned with pinnacles, and containing a peal of six bells. It was restored and beautified in 1837. There are also district churches at Monk-Bretton and Woolley, the livings of which are perpetual curacies, value respectively £200 and £150. The parochial charities produce about £209 per annum, £88 of which belongs to the free grammar school founded in James I.'s time. There is a National school for both sexes, built in 1844. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. The late Sir G. Wood, Baron of the Exchequer, was a native of Royston. At Monk-Bretton are the remains of an ancient monastery."


"BURTON GRANGE, a village in the township of Monk-Bretton, and parish of Royston, wapentake of Staincross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 1 mile to the N.E. of Barnsley. It was the site of a monastery, founded about 1186 by Fitz-Swain."


"CARLTON, a township in the parish of Royston, wapentake of Staincross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the N. of Barnsley. The Barnsley canal passes by this place."


"CHEVET, a township in the parish of Royston, in the wapentake of Staincross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles S. of Wakefield, through which the North Midland line runs. Chevet Hall is a fine building, pleasantly situated in a park, the seat of Sir W. Pilkington, Bart."


"CLIFF BRIDGE, a village in the parish of Royston, in the West Riding of the county of York, 2 miles N. of Barnsley."


"CUDWORTH, a township in the parish of Royston, wapentake of Staincross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 3½ miles N.E. of Barnsley, its post town, and 7 from Wakefield. It is near the North Midland railway."


"LITTLEWORTH, a hamlet in the township of Monk Bretton, and parish of Royston, West Riding county York, 2 miles N.E. of Barnsley. It is situated near the line of the North Midland railway."


"MONK BRETTON, (or Burton), a township in the parish of Royston, wapentake of Staincross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 2 miles to the N.E. of Barnsley, its post town. It is situated near the North Midland railway, and includes several hamlets At Bretton Grange is the site of a Cluniac priory, founded about 1186, by Adam Fitz-Swain, which had a revenue at the Dissolution of £323. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, of the value of £150, in the patronage of the Vicar of Roystone. The charitable endowments of the township, including the revenue of an almshouse for six persons, founded about 1654, amount to £36 per annum."


"NOTTON, a township in the parish of Royston, wapentake of Staincross, West Riding county York, 5 miles N. of Barnsley, and the same distance S. of Wakefield. It has a joint station with Roystone on the North Midland railway. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated on rising ground, beneath which a small rivulet takes its rise. A part of the hamlet of Staincross is in this township."


"OLD MILL, a village in the township of Monk Bretton, parish of Royston, West Riding county York, 2 miles N.E. of Barnsley. It is situated near the line of the North Midland railway."


"SMITHIES, a village in the township of Monk Bretton and parish of Royston, West Riding county York, 2 miles N.E. of Barnsley."


"WOOLLEY, a chapelry and post-office village in the parish of Royston, wapentake of Staincross, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of Barnsley. The village is situated on the road from Wakefield to Barnsley, under a range, of hills called Woolley Edge. There are quarries of building stone, and coal is found, but not wrought. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £200. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, contains monuments to the Wentworth family of Woolley Park, and several stained windows. There is a free school."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013