Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Royston:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Royston:


"APPLEDAY, 2 farm-houses in the township of Notton, and parish of Royston, liberty of Pontefract; 4½ miles N. of Barnsley."


"CARLTON, in the parish of Royston, wapentake of Staincross, liberty of Pontefract; 3 miles NE. of Barnsley, 8 from Wakefield, 9 from Penistone. Pop. 326."


"CHEVET, in the parish of Royston, wapentake of Staincross, liberty of Pontefract; (the seat of Sir William Pilkington, Bart.) 5 miles from Wakefield, 6 from Barnsley, 9 from Pontefract. Pop. 27."


"CUDWORTH, or Nether Cudworth, corn mill, in the township of Over Cudworth, and parish of Royston, liberty of Pontefract, 3½ miles NE. of Barnsley."


"LITTLE WORTH, a hamlet in the township of Monkbretton, and parish of Royston, 2 miles NE. of Barnsley."


"MONK BRETTON, in the parish of Royston, wapentake of Staincross, liberty of Pontefract; 2 miles NE. of Barnsley, 8½ from Wakefield, 10 from Rotherham. Pop. 916. Here is a private Chapel, but no Chapelry attached.

An Hospital was founded at this place in 1654, in pursuance of the Will of Dame Mary Talbot, for six poor widows, who have each an allowance of 40s. and a gown of 10s. value, per annum.

Adam Fitz Swain founded a Monastery here, early in the reign of Henry II. of the Cluniac order, to the honour of St. Mary Magdelen. It was at first subordinate to the Priory of St. John, at Pontefract. It was situated on the north side of the river Dearne; the Church was gone long previous to Burton's time, but the gate remained with some part of the ruins. It was dissolved in 1537. William Brown, the last Prior, had a pension of £40. per annum, assigned him, which he enjoyed in 1553. --Burton. --Dodsworth."


"MONK BRETTON GRANGE, a hamlet in the township of Monk Bretton, and parish of Royston, liberty of Pontefract; 2½ miles from Barnsley, 9 from Wakefield."


"NEW LAITHES, a single house in the township of Carlton, and parish of Royston, 2 mile N. of Barnsley."


"NOTTON, in the parish of Royston, wapentake of Staincross, liberty of Pontefract; 4 miles N. of Barnsley, 6½ from Wakefield, 10 from Pontefract. Pop. 339."


"SAINT HELENS WELL, a farm-house in the township of Carlton, and parish of Royston, 2 miles N. of Barnsley.

Helens Ford, or St. Helens Ford, a Ford over the river Wharf, on the great Roman road near to Tadcaster. It takes its name from a Chapel dedicated to St. Helen, the mother of Constantine the great; which stood, in Leland's time, on the east banks of the river. Here is still St. Helens Well. --Drake."


"SMITHIES MILL, a hamlet in the township of Monk Bretton, and parish of Royston, 2 miles N. of Barnsley, 8 from Wakefield."


"UPPER CUDWORTH, or Over Cudworth, in the parish of Royston, wapentake of Staincross, liberty of Pontefract; 3½ miles from Barnsley, 5 from Wakefield. Pop. 487."


"WINDHILL GATE, a farm-house in the township of Woolley, and parish of Royston, 5 miles N. of Barnsley and Wakefield."


"WOOLLEY, in the parish of Royston, wapentake of Staincross, liberty of Pontefract; 5 miles N. of Barnsley and Wakefield, 10 from Penistone. Pop. 482. The Chapel is a perpetual curacy. Patron, G.W. Wentworth, Esq. Similarly situated, is:-"


"WOOLLEY EDGE, scattered houses in the township of Woolley, and parish of Royston, 6 miles NNW. of Barnsley and 6 from Wakefield."


"WOOLLEY PARK, (the seat of Godfrey Wentworth Wentworth, Esq.) in the parish of Royston, wapentake of Staincross, liberty of Pontefract; 5 miles from Barnsley and Wakefield, 10 from Penistone."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]