Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: SANDAL MAGNA.     Church dedication: ST. HELEN.     Church type: Discharged Vicarage.

Area, 7,630 acres. Agbrigg wapentake, L.D. -Population, 2,878 *1; Church-room, 650 *2; Net value, £157. -This Church was given by William Earl Warren to the Monastery of Lewes, and in 1356 it was appropriated to the Chapel of St. Stephen's, Westminster, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 27th March, A.D. 1357. -Torre's MS., page 677.

At the Dissolution, the patronage came to the Crown.

Impropriators, Sir W. Pilkington, Bart., T. W. Beaumont, Esq., C.Waterton, Esq., and G. Allott, Esq.

The Church is valued, in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £28. 13s. 4d. per annum ; and the Vicarage, in the King's Books, is valued at £13. 7s. 8d. per annum. Synodals, 4s.; and pension to the Sacrist of the Church, 13s. 4d.

In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 301, it is stated : " Vicarage £14 per annum, besides £25 per annum granted for ever out of Mr. Richard Pilkington's estate in the impropriate Rectory of this parish, upon his composition. There is an augmentation granted by order of Parliament to the Vicar out of another part of the Rectory of Sandell, belonging to Mrs. Bridget Waterton, a papist and delinquent."

" The ordination is annexed to the ordination of Kirkburton, and is of an ambiguous construction. However, by usage immemorial, the tithe corn, wool, lamb, pigs, hens, and geese, are enjoyed by several impropriators, purchased from the Crown. £14 per annum is paid to the Vicar, who has also a small house and about four acres of land, to the value of about £20 per annum. About the year 1631, Sir Richard Beaumont, Bart., impropriator of the tithe corn, by his will charged the Rector with the payment of £20 per annum towards the maintenance of divine service, which was detained until about twenty years ago ; the present incumbent, by a suit in the Exchequer, recovered it, and the £14, and Easter Dues above-named (all which was detained and claimed by the impropriators) ; and about that time, one Mr. Ray, with whom the contest was, being owner of the tithe corn, sensible, by the event, of the wrong the Church had sustained, left by will the sum of £50, the interest to be paid for the maintenance of divine service. William Brounley left a charge of 13s. 4d. out of a close in the parish. One Arnold left 6s. 8d. out of a close. About 1702, an old, rich man, guilty of fornication, commuted for his penance, and paid the sum of £95, £50 of which his Grace the present Archbishop of York gave to the Church, the yearly interest of, to be paid for preaching a sermon every Ash Wednesday against the sin of fornication ; the ordination was made by Archbishop Thoresby, 27th March 1357." Signed, "Joseph Wood, Vic." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 1,340.

Two Chantries were founded in the Church and one in the Castle.

23rd June 1820, a faculty was granted to erect a gallery.

A decree in the Exchequer in Michaelmas Term, 1st Jac. II., as to tithes, is unreported.

The Vicar is entitled to a pension of £14 a year from the Rector, and to an annuity of £20 issuing out of the Rectorial tithes; to 1d. for a cow, in lieu of tithe milk ; to a halfpenny for a calf ; to 3d. for a foal; to 1d. for every swarm of bees ; and to certain rates, in lien of tithe hay and herbage in the township of Criggleston *3.

The impropriator is entitled to the tithes of pigs, geese, hens, and to a customary payment called a hen, in lien of the tithes of carts.

The owners of the great tithes of Criggleston are entitled to the tithes of wool and lamb in the township of Sandal Magna.

The tithes of clover seed and the agistment of cattle in the parish of Sandal Magna belong to the Vicar, and not to the impropriator of the parish. But in the township they belong to the impropriator, and not to the Vicar.

The four ancient farms, called Grices, Arthingtons, Carters, and Barkers, pay certain moduses to the Vicar in lieu of tithe hay. But the impropriator is entitled to the tithe hay arising in the township of Sandal Magna, which is payable in kind *4.

The Vicar is entitled to the tithes of turnips and potatoes arising in the township *5, and he is only entitled to a yearly modus of the tithes of hay and agistments in the township of Criggleston, and this modus covers clover hay.

The impropriator is only entitled to five shillings an acre in lieu of the tithes of Weld.

The impropriator of the great tithes is entitled to have the tithes of corn and grain situate set out in shocks, and the odd shock in sheaves *6.

The impropriator of the tithes is only entitled to the tithe of weld, clover seed, line seed, and agistments arising in the said township, and to the hay on the Tithe Laith Close. But quere as to the tithes of turnips and potatoes, and the tithe hay and agistments of certain lands.

The lay impropriator of the tithes is entitled to the agistment tithes, the tithes of hay, rape, rape seed, clover, clover seed, weld, and other tithes arising on the lands called Townsend Close, Pugnel Close, and Castlefield Close, in the said township, in kind *7.

An inclosure Act was passed in the 29th Geo. III., which may probably affect the tithes, &c., above-mentioned.

Augmented, in 1731, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Rev. Charles Zouch.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register books commence in 1652.

Charities:
George Grice's almshouses, for two poor widows, nominated by the vestry.

Robert Dickenson's almshouses, for two poor widows, who also receive the rents of eight acres of land.

Luke Sprignel's charity, by will, dated 4th June 1607. Rent of 10a. 3r. 13p. of land and three cottages, distributed on St. Thomas's day.

Sykes's and Arnold's Charities. Rent of 2a. 2r. of land, distributed, after paying 6s. 8d. to the Vicar.

Elizabeth Wray's charity. Interest of £50, distributed yearly. Now paid by the parish.

Dr. Zouch's charity. Interest of £50, distributed yearly. Now paid by the parish.

Hardcastle's charity. Rent-charge of £10 per annum, distributed yearly.

Richard Taylor's charity, by will, dated July 1686. Rent of four houses, let on lease, terminable 11th November 1868, for £18 per annum. Eight poor children are educated, and two poor widows receive £3 per annum each.

Dame Mary Bowles's gift. Rent of 22a. 1r. 8p., laid out in apprenticing children, with premiums of £3 each.

Mrs. Catherine Neville's gift, who died in 1790. £10 to a Sunday school at Sandal. This legacy had not been paid when the Report was made.

Crigglestone Charities. -Edward Allott's dole. £1. 10s. per annum. Anthony Worril's dole. £5 per annum to four widows.

John Dodsworth's dole. 5s. per annum.

Thomas Beaumont's dole, in 1731. £7. 10s.

Mrs. Neville's gift, in 1790, to Crigglestone school. Interest of £10.

Rev. John Lonsdale's gift, in 1807. Interest of £50 to the Sunday school.

Rev. George Wilson's Oft, in 1807. Interest of £50 to the Sunday school.

West Bretton poor's land. Rent of a piece of land, let for £6. 9s. per annum, distributed to the poor of West Bretton.

Walton School, founded by Charles Waterton, Esq., in 1722, and augmented by Mrs. Catherine Neville, by will, dated 4th March 1790. Interest of £140. Fourteen boys and girls taught English. Two free scholars. -Vide 17th Report, page 676.

Sandal Castle was built by the Earls Warren about the year 1520. It afterwards became the property of Richard Duke of York, who was slain in the great battle fought near Sandal, but called the battle of Wakefield, in 1460. This castle was held for the King in the civil wars by Colonel Bonevant, but surrendered in October 1645, and soon afterwards dismantled.

Post town: Wakefield.


References:
Torre's MS. page 677. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 192. Mon. Angl. vol. vi. page 1,348.


Notes:
*1 Viz.: West Bretton, 161 ; Crigglestone, 1,266 ; Great Sandal, 1,075 ; Walton, 276. In 1834, the Population was returned at 1,612. -West Bretton township is partly in Silkstone parish (Staincross wapentake), and entered accordingly.

*2 In 1818, estimated at 800.

*3 Wood v. Beaumont, 1 Wood, page 216.

*4 Lambert v. Smith, 2 Wood, page 439.

*5 Lambert v. Zouch, 2 Wood, page 440.

*6 Taylor v. Beaumont, 3 Wood, page 403.

*7 Gill v. Zouch, 4 Wood, page 478.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.