"SANDAL MAGNA, (or Great Sandal), a parish and township in the lower division of Agbrigg wapentake, West Riding county York, 2 miles S.E. of Wakefield, its post town. The village, which is large and old, is situated on the S. side of the Vale of Calder, and on the road from Wakefield to Barnsley. The Barnsley canal and the North Midland railway pass through the parish, which comprises the townships of West Bretton, Chapelthorpe, Crigglestone, Walton, and 5 hamlets Near the village are slight traces of a castle erected by John Plantagenet, the last Earl of Warren, in 1320, which passed to Richard Plantagenet, Duke of York, who fell in the battle of Wakefield in 1460, and was subsequently the residence of his son, afterwards Richard III. During the parliamentary war in the reign of Charles I. the castle was taken and dismantled by order of parliament. The district abounds with coal, of which several mines are wrought, and there are quarries of good freestone. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The Wakefield cemetery is included in this parish. Nevison, the highway robber, was apprehended here in 1684, at a public-house with the sign of "Sandal Three Horses." The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, value £157. The church, dedicated to St. Helen, has a square embattled tower containing a clock and six bells. There is also a district church at Chapelthorpe, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £189. The church is of recent erection. The parochial charities produce about £300 per annum. There are two almshouses for women, founded by George Grice, and rebuilt in 1823, also an endowed school founded by Alderman Scholey of London in 1839. The parish contains several seats, as Brooke House, Castle Grove, Manygates, Portobello, Sandal Hall, Sandal Grange, Sandal House, Springbank Villa, Woodlands, and Woolgreaves. Sir L. M. S. Pilkington, Bart., of Chevet Hall, is lord of the manor."
"CHAPELTHORPE, a village in the parish of Sandal Magna, in the West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles S. of Wakefield. Here is a neat chapel of ease, the living of which is a curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value £189, in the patronage of the Vicar of Sandall."
"CRIGGLESTONE, a township in the parish of Sandal Magna, lower division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, in the West Riding of the county of York, 3½ miles S.W. of Wakefield, its post town, and 4 from Barnsley. It is situated on the southern bank of the river Aire, and contains the hamlets of Chapelthorpe, Crigglestone, Dirtear, Hall Green, and part of New-Miller-Dam. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the collieries."
"MILTHORPE, a hamlet in the parish of Sandal-Magna, wapentake of Lower Agbrigg, West Riding county York, 2 miles S. of Wakefield."
"PLED WICK, a hamlet in the parish of Sandal Magna, West Riding county York, 2 miles S. E. of Wakefield."
"STAND BRIDGE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Sandal Magna, West Riding county York, 2 miles S. of Wakefield."
"WALTON, a township in the parish of Sandal Magna, lower division of Agbrigg wapentake, West Riding county York, 3 miles S.E. of Wakefield, its post town. The village is situated on the North Midland railway, and is a meet for the Bramham Moor hunt. There are soap and alkali works. Walton House, Refuge House, and Walton Hall, are the principal residences, the latter was the seat of the late C. Waterton, Esq., author of "Wanderings in South America.""
"WOODTHORPE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Sandal Magna, wapentake of Lower Agbrigg, West Riding county York, 3 miles S. of Wakefield."