Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: SAXTON.     Church dedication: ALL SAINTS.     Church type: Perpetual Curacy.

Area, 3,710 acres. Barkston Ash wapentake, U.D. -Population, 522 *1; Church-room, 350; NET TALUS, £83. -Torre calls this a parochial Chapel within the parish of Sherburn. The Church appears, from the Monasticon Anglicanum *2, to have been appropriated to St. Leonard's Hospital.

Archbishop Sharp was of opinion there had been an endowment, but no such has been found.

A Chantry is mentioned in the Valor Ecclesiasticus.

Patron and impropriator, J. R. 0. Gascoigne, Esq.

In Pope Nicholas's taxation, this Church was valued at £13. 6s. 8d. per annum.

" Neither Parsonage nor Vicarage presentable ; £10 per annum paid by the impropriator. Lead Chapel is four miles from Ryther, and but half a mile from the parish of Saxton, without a minister, and only thirty shillings per annum for maintenance. We recommend that the Chapel of Lead be dissolved, and the Chapelry annexed to Saxton." -Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 245.

The Curacy was augmented, in 1737, with £200, to meet benefaction of lands worth £200 from Lady Elizabeth Hastings ; and in 1809, by lot, with £200.

There was an unreported decree in the Exchequer, in Michaelmas Term, 39th Elizabeth.

" Saxton is impropriated in all its tithes to the use of the Hungates : yearly salary to the Curate, £10. The Advowson belongs to Sir Francis Hungate, Bart.; William Baines, Cur." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 934.

No glebe house.

The Register Books commence in 1538. Several chasms.

Charities:
Richard Fletcher, in 1739, gave £10, the interest to be distributed annually among the poor. The sum of 10s. is divided at Christmas among poor widows of the parish. -Vide 15th Report, page 639.

Post town: Tadcaster.


References:
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 553. Archbishop Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 91. Nonae Roll, page 228.


Notes:
*1 In 1831, Saxton with Scarthingwell, 407 Towton, 115. In 1834, the Population was returned at 550.

*2 Vol vi. page 613.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.