"SAXTON, a parish and township in the upper division of Barkstone-Ash wapentake, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.W. of Tadcaster, its pest town, and 2 from Church Fenton railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is built on an acclivity, and is chiefly agricultural. The parish includes the village of Scarthingwell and the township of Towton, where in 1461 a sanguinary battle was fought between the houses of York and Lancaster. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, value £76. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has a tower containing three bells. Lords Dacre and Westmoreland, with many who were slain in the battle, were interred in the churchyard. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. There is a school in connection with the Church of England, maintained by Lady Ashtown and Mrs. Gascoigne. The Wesleyans have a place of worship."
"SCARTHINGWELL, a hamlet in the parish of Saxton, upper division of Barkstone-Ash wapentake, West Riding county York, 4½ miles S.E. of Tadcaster. It is in conjunction with Saxon to forma township The chief object of interest in the village is the Hall. The Roman Catholics have a place of worship."
"TOWTON, a township in the parish of Saxton, upper division of Barkstone-Ash wapentake, West Riding county York, 2 miles from Saxton, and 2½ S. from Tadcaster. It is situated near the rivers Cock and Wharfe. Here Edward IV. defeated Henry VI. in 1461."