The Ancient Parish of SEDBERGH
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"SEDBERGH, a market and parish-town, in the wapentake of Ewcross; 5 miles from
Dent, 11 from Kendal and Kirby Lonsdale, (Westm.) 13 from Kirkby Stephen,
(ditto) 14½ from Hawes, 22 from Askrigg, 25 from Lancaster, (Lanc.) 77 from
York, 265 from London. Market, Wednesday. Fairs, March 20; October 29,
for horned cattle, &c. Principal Inns, Kings Arms, and Old Black Bull.
Pop. 2,022. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Andrew, in the
deanry of Kirby Lonsdale, diocese of Chester, value, ~£12. 8s. Patron,
Trinity College, Cambridge."
(There is further information for Sedbergh).
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Birk House
- Brigg Flatts
- Crook Of Lune
- Dandry Mire
- Ingmire Hall
- Little Town
- Moorthwaite Bridge
- Thorns Hall
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Please see
Christine Amsden's Census pages for the following Census transcriptions:
- Dent: 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1891, 1901
- Garsdale: 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901
- Neville Randall has transcribed indexes to the Sedbergh Census for 1891. There are four files available all of which contain all the names for the appropriate district:
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
St. Andrew's Church, Sedbergh.
(The Church's website is here.)
The School Chapel, Sedbergh, built 1901.
St. Andrew's Church, Dent.
The Methodist Church, Dent, originally Wesleyan, founded 1834.
The Church of St. John the Baptist, Garsdale.
The Street Chapel, Garsdale.
St. John's Church, Cowgill.
The former Mission Room, Millthrop.
- There is also information on the various Churches in the area (along with photographs) on the
Sedbergh Lookaround web-site.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient)
parish, but I have no further information on them other than
the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SD755870) Cowgill
- (SD668895) Lenacre
- (SD685860) North Lord's Land
- (SD705885) South Lord's Land
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015