Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: SELBY.     Church dedication: ST. MARY AND ST. GERMAN.     Church type: Perpetual Curacy.

Area, 3,180 acres. Barkston Ash wapentake, L. D *1. -Population, 4,600; Church-room, 1,500 *2; Net value, £97. -This Church was appropriated to the Abbey of Selby *3, but no Vicarage was ever ordained therein. On the 20th March, 16th Jac. I., this was made a parish Church by royal letters patent.

Patron, the Hon. E. R. Petre.

The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £13. 6s. 8d.

In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 256, it is stated : " Neither Parsonage nor Vicarage. £30 per annum, granted by King James by letters patent, and an augmentation of £50 per annum, granted by order of the Committee of Plundered Ministers out of the Impropriation of Brayton, the sequestered estate of Charles Walmsley, Esq., a recusant. There is also £10 per annum due to the minister from the said Charles Walmsley, who is the Impropriator of the tithes of the parish of Selby."

The Cure was augmented, in 1772, with £200; in 1787, with £200; in 1788, with £200; in 1796, with £200; in 1812, with £1,000 from the Parliamentary grant ; in 1819, with £400 from the same grant ; and, in 1820, with £200 from the same grant-all by lot.

There was an unreported decree in the Exchequer, in Michaelmas Term, 25th Elizabeth.

In 37th Geo. III. an Inclosure Act was passed.

Glebe house fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1590. Chasm in 1748. -Vide transcript in the Peculiar Registry.

Charities:
Estate of Feoffees, for pious purposes. -By inquisition, taken 24th August 1664, it appeared that several estates had been given by sundry individuals for public uses, and by the decree founded thereon fifteen feoffees were appointed. The income arises from the rent of 68a. 2r. 30p. of land, and six houses, and is applied towards educating children, distributing bread, continuing the chime of bells, and repairing the Church and the highways.

Joshua Rayner's charity, by will, dated 28th February 1710. Rent of 9a. 0r. 38p. of land to a schoolmaster, for teaching six poor boys to read and write. Eleven boys are now taught, and also clothed once in two years.

John Edmonds's charity, by will, dated 8th June 1767. Interest of £20, to be laid out in bread.

Robert and Jane Hudson's charity, 1804. Rent of eight acres of land, for medical advice for women in childbed, and other poor persons of the parish.

Blue-Coat Charity. Rent of eight acres of land, for clothing and instructing poor boys. -Vide 10th Report, page 745.

A post town.


References:
Mon. Ang., vol. iii. page 485. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. pages 298-319. Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 1359. Mountain's History of Selby. Prickett's Bridlington, page 50. Gent's Ripon, page 52. Gentleman's Magazine, vol. lxxxv. page 105. Nonae Roll, page 228.


Notes:
*1 The parish of Selby is partly within the liberty of St. Peter of York.

*2 744 additional sittings (of which 322 are free) have been procured, towards which the Society made a grant of £300.

*3 Which was a mitred Abbey.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.