Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for SHEFFIELD: Sheffield-Leecroft Chapel Congregational Church History up to 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

SHEFFIELD: Sheffield-Leecroft Chapel Congregational Church History up to 1868.

SHEFFIELD-LEECROFT CHAPEL (CONGREGATIONAL.)

This chapel was erected in the year 1780 for a congregation calling themselves Independent Methodists, which separated from Mr. Bennett (see p. 355), under the ministry of Rev. -- Povah. It was sold Sept. 23, 1795 to Rev. Alexander McNab, and on his death became the property of his widow. It was afterwards rented by a congregation occupying Coalpit Lane, in which an Independent church had been formed under the pastorate of Rev. Francis Dixon.

The ministers have been-

  • 1799. Rev. FRANCIS DIXON.
  • He was ordained Sept. 5, the Revs. J. Boden, Reece, W. Alliott (Nottingham), Dr. Williams, Burgess (Chesterfield), Phillips, Ellis (Barnsley), and Brooksbank (London), taking parts in the service. There were then fifteen members.
  • In 1806 the vestry was enlarged for the accommodation of a Sunday School. In 1814 the chapel was purchased and repaired.
  • In 1827 a school-room which had been rented from the Wesleyans was also purchased.
  • In 1836 Mr. Dixon resigned, and died Jan. 7, 1846.
  • 1836. Rev. JOHN THORPE, from Ramsden Street, Huddersfield. He was pastor here for two years; but the congregation becoming too large, a change of sanctuaries was effected with Rev. W. B. Landells, of Mount Zion Chapel. Mr. L. afterwards left for Australia.
  • 1853. Rev. JAMES RENNIE, M.A. Ordained Aug. 2.
  • 1857. Rev. BREWIN GRANT, B.A. (Highbury Coll. and Glasgow Univ.). During his ministry the Cemetery Road Congregational church was built, and Mr. Grant removed thither with a large part of his flock. On his departure there was no settled minister till 1861.
  • 1861. Rev. R. M. MACBRAIR, M.A. (Edinburgh Univ.), from Barbican, London. The church and congregation at once began to build a suburban chapel called the Tabernacle, to which they removed, and the old chapel was sold by auction in 1862, and purchased for £1,000 by the Roman Catholics.

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.