Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for SHEFFIELD: Sheffield-Stannington Congregational Church History up to 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

SHEFFIELD: Sheffield-Stannington Congregational Church History up to 1868.

SHEFFIELD-STANNINGTON. (PRESBYTERIAN.)

At Stannington, near Sheffield, Richard Spoone built a small chapel in 1652 or 1653, and endowed it with a piece of ground for the support of the officiating minister.

Among the successive ministers have been-

  • 1652. Rev. RALPH WOOD; till 1655.
  • 1655. Rev. ROBERT MATHEWSON; till 1657.
  • 1657. Rev. ISAAC DARWENT. Though called an ejected minister, he had not ceased to preach till after 1662, and he occupied the chapel lands till 1665.
  • 1663. Rev. -- HOPWOOD; till 1665.
  • 1665. Rev. JOSEPH BACON; till 1667.
  • Rev. -- REVELL; till 1668. 1668. Rev. TIMOTHY DIGHTON , till 1671.
  • 1673. Rev. THOMAS MELLOR; till 1674.
  • 1674. Rev. WILLIAM WALKER; till 1676.
  • 1684. Rev. GEORGE CROSLAND; till 1689.
  • 1689. Rev. ABRAHAM DAWSON. In his time the Book of Common Prayer ceased to be used in the chapel. Till 1696.
  • 1696. Rev. WILLIAM BAGSHAW (Jollie's Acy.). He preached the funeral sermon for Mrs. Jollie. Mr. B. died here, 1713.
  • 1713. Rev. SAMUEL SMITH, who died here 1761. The congregation now numbered 350.
  • In 1742 the old chapel gave way to a new one, erected by T. Marriott, Esq., of Ughill, with the aid of friends.
  • 1761. Rev. JOHN HALL. Removed to Rotterdam 1780.
  • 1779. Rev. JOSIAH RHODES, an Independent (Heckmondwike Acy.), till 1785.
  • 1785. Rev. EDWARD Grimm. Mr. G. removed to Stockport, 1794.
  • 1794. Rev. ASHLEY MEANLEY, from Ashford, Derbyshire. He died 1814.
  • 1814. Rev. PETER WRIGHT.
We have no information as to the more modern history of this ancient congregation. Hunter says, "At a little distance from the chapel is a comfortable house built for the minister's residence, with a spacious garden adjoining, which were much improved by Mr. Meanley. The chapel is a plain building. On the communion-table lies the Book of Martyrs, the gift of some unknown hand. There have been a few interments at the chapel, and at no great distance, on the brow of the hill opposite, was a small decent enclosure, in which were deposited the remains of about ten or twelve persons of the family of Brookside."

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.