GENUKI Home page    Sheffield Parish Sheffield
Parish

In 1822, the following places were in


the Parish of Sheffield:


"ATTERCLIFFE, in the parish of Sheffield, and the township of Attercliffe cum Darnall, upper division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Hallamshire; (Attercliffe Hall, the seat of Gamelial Milner, Esq.) 1 mile NE. of Sheffield, 4 from Rotherham. Pop. including Darnall, 3,172. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to Holy Jesus, value, p.r. 40. Patron, the Vicar of Sheffield.

Another chapel is about to be erected here, to contain 2000 souls, by the Commissioners for building Churches."


"BANNER CROSS, a hamlet in the township of Ecclesall Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield; (the residence of the Rev. W. Bagshaw) 2 miles SW. of Sheffield."


"BELL HAGG, a hamlet in the township of Upper Hallam, and parish of Sheffield; 3 miles W. of Sheffield."


"BENT'S GREEN, a hamlet in the township of Ecclesall Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield; 3 miles SW. of Sheffield."


"BRIDGE HOUSES, in the township of Brightside Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield, 1 mile N. of Sheffield."


"BRIGHTSIDE BIERLOW, in the parish of Sheffield, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Hallamshire; 3 miles NNE. of Sheffield, 5 from Rotherham. Pop. 6,615. The Church is a perpetual curacy, of which the Vicar of Sheffield is Patron."


"BRIGHTSIDE GREEN, in the township of Ecclesall, and parish of Sheffield, the seat of Benjamin Sales, Esq."


"BROOM HALL, (the seat of John Tillotson, Esq.) in the township of Ecclesall Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield, 1 mile from Sheffield."


"BURNGREAVE, (the seat of Joseph Bailes, Esq.) in the township of Brightside Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield."


"BURROW LEE, a hamlet in the township of Nether Hallam, and parish of Sheffield, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 2 miles NW. of Sheffield."


"BUTTON HILL, a hamlet in the township of Ecclesall Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; (the seat of John Crawshaw, Esq.) 3 miles S. of Sheffield."


"CARBROOK, a hamlet in the township of Attercliffe cum Darnall, and parish of Sheffield, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 3 miles NE. of Sheffield and 3 from Rotherham.

In this hamlet is Carbrook Hall, formerly the residence of a family of the name of Bright, of which family we find, was Sir John Bright, a very active officer in the parliamentary army of 1643 4. He received a Captain's commission from the Lord Fairfax. He was made Colonel of a regiment of Foot, previous to Sir Thomas Fairfax's expedition into Cheshire, in which capacity he accompanied that General. He was afterwards governor of Sheffield Castle. --Hunter's Hallamshire."


"CARRWOOD, (the seat of Samuel Smith, Esq.) in the township of Brightside Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield, 1 miles from Sheffield, 5 from Rotherham."


"CHERRY TREE HILL, in the township of Ecclesall Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 2 miles from Sheffield."


"CLOUGH FIELD, a hamlet in the township of Nether Hallam, and parish of Sheffield, 3 miles from Sheffield, 9 from Rotherham."


"CRABTREE, a farm-house in the township of Brightside Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield, 2 miles from Sheffield."


"CROOKES, (or Crooks) in the townships of Nether Hallam and Ecclesall Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 1 miles W. of Sheffield.

Here is a small School founded by will of William Ronksley, in 1723, for the education of 11 poor children of Crooks and the neighbourhood. The trust is vested in the Burgesses, for the Free School in Sheffield, for the time being."


"CROOKESMOOR, (or Crookes Moor) a hamlet in the parish of Sheffield, 1 mile from Sheffield."


"CROSS POOLE, in the parish of Sheffield, wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill; 2 miles SW. of Sheffield."


"DARNALL, in the township of Attercliffe cum Darnall, and parish of Sheffield, liberty of Hallamshire; (Darnall Hall, the seat of Samuel Stainforth, Esq.) 3 miles ENE. of Sheffield, 5 from Rotherham. Pop. included in Attercliffe.

The family of the Stainforths have resided upon lands here, possessed by their ancestors in the reign of Richard II. --Hunter's Hallamshire."


"ECCLESALL BIERLOW, a township, in the parish of Sheffield, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Hallamshire; 3 miles SW. of Sheffield, 11 from Chesterfield, (Derby.) Pop. 9,113. The Church is a perpetual curacy, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, p.r. !110. Patron, the Vicar of Sheffield.

Please note that the area covered by the township (above) is not the same as the Ecclesall Bierlow in the GRO indexes, where it means the Poor Law Union, and Registration District covering the western half of Sheffield and some Derbyshire parishes. (Hugh Waterhouse, July 2003)"


"EDGE, or Edge End, a hamlet in the township of Ecclesall Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield, 3 miles S. of Sheffield."


"ENDCLIFFE HALL, (the seat of William Hodson, Esq.) in the township of Nether Hallam, and parish of Sheffield, 2 miles from Sheffield."


"FARFIELD, a hamlet in the township of Brightside Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield, 1 mile NW. of Sheffield."


"FARM, (the seat of John Houseman, Esq.), in the township and parish of Sheffield, 1 mile from Sheffield."


"FULWOOD, a hamlet in the township of Upper Hallam, and parish of Sheffield, 3 miles SW. of Sheffield."


"FULWOOD BOOTH, and FULWOOD HEAD, 2 houses in the township of Upper Hallam, and parish of Sheffield, 4 miles SW. of Sheffield."


"GLEADLESS, or Gleadleys, a hamlet in the township and parish of Handsworth, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 3 miles SW. of Sheffield. A part of this place is in the parish of Sheffield."


"GODDARD HILL, a single house in the township of Brightside Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield, 2 miles from Sheffield."


"GREYSTONES, in the township of Ecclesall Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield, (the seats of Miss Greaves, and the Rev. Thomas Sutton,) 2 miles from Sheffield."


"GRIMESTHORPE, in the township of Brightside Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield, 2 miles NE. of Sheffield, 3 from Rotherham."


"HEELEY, (Upper and Nether) in the township of Nether Hallam, and parish of Sheffield, 2 miles s. of Sheffield."


"HIGH HOUSE, in the township of Nether Hallam, and parish of Sheffield, 1 miles from Sheffield."


"HIGHFIELD, a hamlet in the township of Ecclesall Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield ; (the seat of George Woodhead, Esq.) 1 mile from Sheffield."


"HILL FOOT, a hamlet in the township of Nether Hallam, and parish of Sheffield, 1 mile NW. of Sheffield."


"HILLS, a farm-house in the township of Brightside Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield, 2 miles N. of Sheffield."


"HILLSBOROUGH, in the parish of Sheffield, 1 mile N.W. of Sheffield; in the vicinity is the seat of H. Hall. (Note: Hillsborough does not appear to have existed in 1860, the above data is from Batholomews Gazetteer of 1887 - C.H)"


"LITTLE COMMON, a hamlet in the township of Ecclesall Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield, 4 miles SSW. of Sheffield."


"LONGLEY, in the township of Brightside Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield, (the seat of Adamson Parker, Esq.) 3 miles N. of Sheffield."


"LYDGATE, (or Lidgate) a hamlet in the township of Nether Hallam, and parish of Sheffield, 3 miles from Sheffield, 9 from Rotherham."


"MACHON BANK, a hamlet in the township of Ecclesall Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield, 2 miles S. of Sheffield.

This place was once the residence of a family, who bore the name of Machon, whom we find in the visitations of the seventeenth century. John Machon died here in 1602. --Hunter's Hallamshire."


"MILN HOUSES, a hamlet in the township of Ecclesall Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield, 3 miles SW. of Sheffield."


"MOREWOOD, a hamlet in the township of Bradfield, and parish of Sheffield, 6 miles from Sheffield.

This place, like More Hall, also gave name to a family of the name of Morewood, several of whom appear at different times, to have been High Sheriffs for the county of Derby. --Hunter's Hallamshire."


"MOUNT PLEASANT, (the seat of Samuel Broomhead Ward, Esq.) in the township of Ecclesall Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield, 1 mile from Sheffield."


"NEEPSEND, a hamlet in the township of Brightside Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield, 1 mile NW. of Sheffield."


"NETHER GREEN, a hamlet in the township of Upper Hallam, and parish of Sheffield, 3 miles SW. of Sheffield."


"NETHER HALLAM, a township, in the parish of Sheffield, upper division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Hallamshire; 1 miles W. of Sheffield. Pop. 3,200."


"NEW HALL, (the seat of Richard Swallow, Esq.) in the township of Brightside Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield, 1 miles from Sheffield."


"NEWFIELD GREEN, a hamlet in the township of Nether Hallam, and parish of Sheffield, 2 miles S. of Sheffield."


"NORWOOD HALL, (the seat of James Wheat, Esq.) in the township of Brightside Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield, 2 miles from Sheffield."


"OWLERTON, in the township of Nether Hallam, and parish of Sheffield, 2 miles NW. of Sheffield."


"PARK GRANGE, (the seat of Samuel Roberts, Esq.) in the township and parish of Sheffield, 1 miles from Sheffield."


"PHILADELPHIA, in the township of Nether Hallam, and parish of Sheffield, 1 miles from Sheffield. Near this place are the Horse Barracks, built in 1794."


"PITTSMOOR, (was Pitts Moor) in the township of Brightside Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield, which it adjoins on the north."


"PORTO BELLO, in the township and parish of Sheffield, upper division of Strafforth and Tickhill; half a mile from Sheffield, 6 from Rotherham."


"RANMOOR, or Rand Moor, or Stockwell Green, a hamlet in the township of Upper Hallam and parish of Sheffield, 3 miles from Sheffield."


"SANDYGATE, a hamlet in the township of Nether Hallam, and parish of Sheffield, liberty of Hallamshire; 3 miles W. of Sheffield."


"SCRAITH, a farm-house and Wood, in the township of Brightside Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield, 3 miles from Sheffield."


"SHARROWHEAD, a hamlet in the township of Ecclesall Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, 1 mile S. of Sheffield."


"SHEFFIELD MANOR, in the township and parish of Sheffield, 1 miles from Sheffield.

This was formerly a seat of the Earl of Shrewsbury, now in ruins, one large turret only remaining."


"SHIRECLIFFE HALL, (the seat of John Watson, Esq.) in the township of Brightside Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield;

The old Hall, of which no part now remains, a good modern house having been built on its site, was anciently the seat of the family of Mounteney, descended of Sir Robert de Mounteney, grandson of Maud de Lovetot, in the time of Henry III. --Hunter's Hallamshire."


"STEEL BANK, a hamlet in the township of Nether Hallam, and parish of Sheffield, 1 miles from Sheffield."


"STUMPER LOW HALL, a single house in the township of Nether Hallam, and parish of Sheffield, 3 miles SW. of Sheffield."


"TAPTON GRANGE, in the township of Upper Hallam and parish of Sheffield. Tapton Grange, as it appears on the 1905 map, appears to be next to, and slightly behind, St John's church, Ranmoor. The grounds of Tapton Grange now (2008) contain a housing estate, the building itself having been pulled down and replaced by University buildings. [Information provided by various people after 2003]"


"TAPTON GROVE, (the seat of William Shore, Esq.) in the township of Upper Hallam, and parish of Sheffield, 1 miles from Sheffield."


"UPPER HALLAM, a township, in the parish of Sheffield, upper division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Hallamshire; 3 miles SW. of Sheffield. Pop. 1,018."


"UPPER THORPE, a hamlet in the parish of Sheffield, and the township of Nether Hallam; 1 mile NW. of Sheffield."


"WALKLEY, in the township of Nether Hallam, and parish of Sheffield, Upper division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 2 miles NW. of Sheffield."


"WHIRLOW, a hamlet in the township of Ecclesall Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield, 4 miles SW. of Sheffield."


"WHITELEY WOOD HALL, (the seat of William Silcock, Esq.) in the township of Ecclesall Bierlow, and parish of Sheffield, 3 miles SW. of Sheffield."


"WICKER, a suburb in the parish of Sheffield, in the upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Hallamshire.

Terry Flinders wrote to the Sheffield Local Studies Library enquiring about Wicker, and received the following reply:
Firstly the origins of Wicker which is now a road stretching from Lady's Bridge to the railway viaduct:- Peter Harvey's Street Names of Sheffield says there are 3 theories 1) from the old word WICK meaning the land near a castle 2) from another old word WIC meaning a bend or angle in the river (Don) 3) from the Old Norse word VIKIR meaning willow.

There was already a church called Holy Trinity at Darnall when the Wicker parish was created and therefore always known as Holy Trinity, Wicker to distinguish it. Wicker was not a village, just merely a suburb which took its name from a street. Before the parish was created, the area would have been served by the cathedral (St Peter and St Paul) but at this time there were a number of new parishes established particularly on the town's outskirts to serve the flourishing population. Also in 1848 a number of churches were allowed to hold their own marriage services.

You may like to read 'Memorials of Sheffield, its cathedral and parish churches' by Rev W Odom, published by J W Northend Ltd in 1922. The Wicker area lost its identity after 1972 because there were few homes, just shops and factories, as people were rehoused out of the district. The church building still remains, now the New Testament Church of God (Pentecostal) and the old congregation relocated to Christ Church, Pitsmoor. [Alison Darby, Sheffield Local Studies Library, 2007] "

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson 2007]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014