Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for SHERBURN IN ELMET: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

SHERBURN IN ELMET: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"SHERBURN IN ELMET, a parish partly in the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, and partly in the upper division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding, of the county of YORK, comprising the market town of Sherburn, and the townships of Barkston, Huddleston with Lumby, Lotherton with part of Aberford, Micklefield, South Milford, and Newthorp, and containing 2916 inhabitants, of which number, 1144 are in the town of Sherburn, 15 miles S.S.W. from York, and 184 N.W. from London. The name of this place appears to be of Saxon derivation, being compounded of Scire, clear or pure, and Burn, a spring or fountain, with reference to a small stream by which (it is watered. It was anciently of more importance than it is at present, when King Athelstan had a palace here, which was subsequently given to the Archbishop of York, but of which only the site remains, and the present church, which was constructed out of its ruins. In the great civil war, Sherburn was the scene of a remarkable conflict between Lord Digby, Lieutenant-General of the forces north of the Trent, and Colonel Copley, an officer in the interest of the parliament, when, owing to a misunderstanding as to the relative position of the parties, the army of the former was broken up and discomfited, and his baggage and cabinet papers fell into the enemy's hands. The town is situated on the direct road from Tadcaster to Ferrybridge, the vicinity abounding with fine orchards; a species of plum, called the Winesoms, is abundantly prolific and fine in this soil. Flax is cultivated to some extent, and is sent to the Leeds market; teasel also forms a prominent article of trade. About a mile and a half from the town is a quarry of fine stone, and upon a stream, called Bishop Dyke, are several corn-mills. The market, now almost disused, is on Friday; and there is a fair on September 25th. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Prebendary of Fenton in the Cathedral Church of York, rated in the king's books at £10. 17. 1. The church, which is dedicated to All Saints, is a spacious and handsome structure, the nave presenting a rare and beautiful specimen of ancient architecture. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Sherburn hospital and school-house were erected, in 1619, in pursuance of the will of Robert. Hungate, Esq., who gave a rent-charge of £225. 6. 8. for the maintenance, clothing, and education of twenty-four male orphans of the parishes of Sherburn, Saxton, and Sand-Hutton, the city of York, or elsewhere; also for the support of four scholars at St. John's College, Cambridge, from this foundation; the salary of the master is about £40 per annum, and eight boys of the parish are instructed, clothed, and maintained, until they are fifteen years of age: this school is also entitled to send candidates for Lady Hastings' exhibitions at Queen's College, Oxford. A charity school for poor girls was founded and endowed, in 1731, with certain land, and the sum of £1450, by the Rev. Samuel Duffield. A rich and elegant cross was found, some years ago, in the churchyard, in digging amongst the foundations of an old chapel: traces of a Roman road from this place to Aberford are yet visible."


"BARKSTON, a township in the parish of SHERBURN IN ELMET, upper division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE ASH, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles S.E. from Tadcaster, containing 251 inhabitants."


"HUDDLESTON, a township, joint with Lumby, in that part of the parish of SHERBURN IN ELMET, which is in the upper division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles N.N.W. from Ferry-Bridge, containing 184 inhabitants. Here is a.quarry of fine stone, which, although soft at first, acquires considerable hardness by exposure to the atmosphere; the chapel of Henry VII., in Westminster abbey, was partly built of this stone."


"LOTHERTON, a township in the parish of SHERBURN IN ELMET, upper division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S.S.W. from Tadcaster, containing, with a part of Aberford, 427 inhabitants."


"LUMBY, a township, joint with Huddleston, in the parish of SHERBURN IN ELMET, upper division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N. from Ferry-Bridge. The population is returned with Huddleston."


"MICKLEFIELD, a township in the parish of SHERBURN IN ELMET, upper division of the wapentake of BARKSTONEASH, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles N.N.W. from Ferry-Bridge, containing 196 inhabitants."


"NEWTHORP, a township in the parish of SHERBURN IN ELMET, partly in the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, and partly in the upper division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding, of the county of YORK, 6 miles N.N.W. from Ferry-Bridge, containing 83 inhabitants."


"SOUTH MILFORD, a township in the parish of SHERBURN IN ELMET, partly within the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, but chiefly in the upper division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.E. from Ferry-Bridge, containing 631 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]