Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for SHERBURN IN ELMET: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

SHERBURN IN ELMET: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"SHERBURN IN ELMET, a parish, post, and small market town, partly in the upper division of Barkstone Ash wapentake, and partly in the liberty of St. Peter's, West Riding county York, 2 miles N. of Milford Junction, its post town, and 9 W. of Selby. It has stations on the Great Northern and North-Eastern railways, and is traversed by the Leeds and Selby line, which has stations at Micklefield and South Milford, in this parish. The Roman way to Aberford passed through this place. King Athelstan had a palace here, which belonged subsequently to the see of York. The royalists, under Lord Digby, were routed here by Colonel Copley The parish comprises the townships of Barkstone, Huddlestone, Lotherton, Micklefield, South Milford and Newthorpe, and Sherburn. The town is situated on the direct road from Tadcaster to Ferrybridge. Petty sessions are held on alternate Thursdays. The population of the township in 1861 was 1,465, but of the parish 3,944. The surface is varied, and the land fertile. The low grounds are watered by a stream called Bishop's Dyke. The neighbourhood abounds with orchards and gardens. There are flax and teazle grounds, both of which are largely cultivated for the Leeds market. The substratum abounds with excellent freestone, of which great quantities were raised for the repair of York Minster and Westminster Abbey. The living is a vicarage with the curacy of Micklefield annexed, in the diocese of York, value £135, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient edifice, with a tower containing five bells. The register dates from 1639. There are chapels-of-ease at Lotherton and Micklefield, also a district church at South Milford, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £104. The parochial charities produce about £315 per annum. There is an endowed grammar school, also a free school for girls. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Market day is on Friday. A fair is held on 25th September for pedlary and merchandise, and a statute fair on the Friday before Martinmas."


"ABERFORD, a hamlet in the parish of Sherburn-in-Elmet, in the upper division of the wapentake of Barkstone Ash, union of Tadcaster, in the West Riding of York; 13 miles S.W. of York, and near the North Midland, and Hull and Selby railways. There are traces of an old Roman way."


"BARKSTONE, a township in the parish of Sherburn-in-Elmet, wapentake of Barkstone Ash, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the S. of Tadcaster."


"HUDDLESTON AND LUMBY, a township in the parish of Sherburn-in-Elmet, upper division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, West Riding county York, 9 miles N. of Pontefract, and 2 N.E. of the Milford Junction station on the Leeds and Selby railway. In this township a cream-coloured stone is quarried, which, although soft at first, acquires considerable hardness by exposure to the atmosphere, and was the material used in the building of Henry VII.'s Chapel, in Westminster Abbey. At the enclosure of the parish, in 1794, an allotment of land was awarded in lieu of tithes. Huddleston Hall is a very ancient manor, and was formerly the seat of the Hungates. Lord Ashtown is lord of the manor and principal landowner."


"LOTHERTON, (or Lotherton cum Aberford) a township and chapelry in the parish of Sherburn-in-Elmet, upper division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, West Riding county York, 5 miles S.W. of Tadcaster, and 8 N.E. of Leeds. This township includes the eastern portion of the town of Aberford. The Lamplugh family are the chief owners of the soil. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of the parish. There is a chapel-of-ease. Lord Ashtown is lord of the manor, and owner of Lotherton Hall, a mansion in a well-wooded demesne."


"LUMBY, a hamlet in the parish of Sherburn-in-Elmet, upper division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Pontefract. It is situated close to the North Midland line of railway, at the point where a curved branch of 1¼ mile long diverges to the N. and joins the Leeds and Selby railway. This hamlet is united with Huddleston to form a township."


"MICKLEFIELD, a township and chapelry in the parish of Sherburn-in-Elmet, upper division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, West Riding county York, 2½ miles S. of Aberford, 6 N.W. of Ferry-Bridge, and 5 from Milford Junction, its post town. It is a railway station on the Leeds and Milford Junction branch of the North-Eastern line. The township, which is situated close to the road to Wetherby and on the line of the Leeds and Selby railway, is chiefly agricultural. There are collieries and lime- quarries. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage* of Sherburn, in the diocese of York. The church is a modern structure, erected at the expense of Thomas Davidson Bland, Esq., the lord of the manor and, chief landowner. The National school adjoins the church, and is for children of both sexes."


"NEWTHORPE, a township in the parish of Sherburn-in-Elmet, upper division of Barkstone-Ash wapentake, West Riding county York, 3 miles S.E. of Aberford, and 6 N. of Pontefract. The village, which is small and entirely agricultural, is situated on the Leeds and Selby railway, on which are the Micklefield and Milford Junction stations. Lord Ashtown is lord of the manor and principal landowner."


"SOUTH MILFORD, a township in the parish of Sherburn-in-Elmet, partly within the liberty of St. Peter's, but chiefly in the upper division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, West Riding county York, 1 mile W. of Milford Junction, its post town and railway station, 4½ miles N.E. of Ferry-Bridge, and 6 N. of Pontefract. It is a small agricultural village, situated near the intersection of the Leeds and Selby and North-Eastern railways. In excavating for the Leeds and Selby railway an ancient burial-ground was discovered, supposed to have belonged to one of the four chapels formerly attached to Sherburn, according to Domesday Book. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £104, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, is a modern structure and contains one bell. There are National and Sunday schools for both sexes; also places of worship for the Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. Lord Ashtown is lord of the manor."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013