Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Sherburn In Elmet:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Sherburn In Elmet:


"BARKSTON ASH, in the parishes of Sherburn in Elmet and Saxton, wapentake of Barkston-Ash (which takes its name from this place), liberty of Pontefract; 4 miles E. of Aberford, 5 from Tadcaster, 11 from Pontefract. Pop. 251."


"HUDDLESTON, in the parish of Sherburn in Elmet, wapentake of Barkston Ash; 2½ miles W. of Sherburn, 4 miles from Ferrybridge, 6 from Pontefract, 7 from Tadcaster. Pop. including Lumby, 184, which being united form a township. Huddleston Hall, formerly the seat of Sir Edward Hungate, Bart. is now reduced to a farm house."


"LENERTON, a hamlet in the township and parish of Sherburn in Elmet; 3 miles E. of Sherburn in Elmet, 5 miles from Pontefract, 7 from Tadcaster."


"LOTHERTON, in the parish of Sherburn in Elmet, wapentake of Barkston Ash; (Lotherton Hall, the seat of John Raper, Esq.) 1 mile from Aberford, 5 miles S. of Tadcaster, 8 from Wetherby. Pop. including a part of Aberford, 427, which being united, form a township."


"LUMBY, in the township of Huddleston with Lumby, and parish of Sherburn in Elmet, wapentake off Barkston-Ash; 7 miles N. of Pontefract, 5 from Tadcaster, 12 from Selby. Pop. included in Huddleston."


"MICKLEFIELD, in the parish of Sherburn in Elmet, wapentake of Barkston Ash; 2¼ miles S. of Aberford, 6½ from Ferrybridge, 14½ from Selby. Pop. 196. Here is a Chapel of Ease to Sherburn."


"NEWTHORPE, in the parish of Sherburn in Elmet, wapentake of Barkston Ash, liberty of St. Peter; 3 miles SE. of Aberford, 7 from Ferrybridge, 11 from Selby. Pop. 83."


"REST PARK, (or Rush or Rust Park) a farm-house in the township and parish of Sherburn in Elmet; 3½ miles E. of Sherburn, 7 miles from Tadcaster and Ferrybridge."


"SOUTH MILFORD, in the parish of Sherburn in Elmet, wapentake of Barkston-Ash, liberties of St. Peter and Pontefract; 6 miles N. of Pontefract, 5 from Selby, 8¼ from Tadcaster. Pop. 631."


"STEETON HALL, a farm-house in the township of South Millforth, and parish of Sherburn in Elmet; 8 miles from Pontefract and Tadcaster. It was formerly the seat of the Rygate family."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]