The Ancient Parish of SILKSTONE
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2007]
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"SILKSTONE, a parish-town, in the wapentake of Staincross, liberty of
Pontefract; 4 miles from Barnsley and Penistone, 10½ from Wakefield, 39 from
York. Pop. 807. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to All-Saints (see Churches for photograph), in the
deanry of Doncaster, value, p.r. £17. 13s. 4d. Patron, the Archbishop of York."
Information on the following places in
this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Berry Moor
- Bretton Park
- Cannon Hall
- Cat Hill
- Champany Hill
- Coit Hill
- Crane Moor
- Dodworth Bottom
- Fall Head
- Field Head
- Guyder Bottom
- Hood Green
- Hoyland Swaine
- Keresforth Hill
- Old Barnsley
- Sim Hill
- Toad Hole
- Toad Hole Hill
- Wentworth Castle
- West Bretton
- West Thorpe
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
The Church of All Saints and St. James the Berater, Silkstone (view 1).
All Saints' Church, Silkstone (view 2).
The former Ebenezer Chapel, Silkstone, now a nursery.
The former Primitive Methodist Chapel, Silkstone.
The Methodist Church, Silkstone Common.
St. Mary's Church, Barnsley.
St. Edward's Church, Locke Parke, Barnsley.
The Roman Catholic Church of the Holy Rood, Barnsley.
St. Paul's Church, Barnsley Old Town.
Westgate Primitive Methodist Chapel, Barnsley. This chapel became Barnsley Boy's Club
in the 1950s and is now a theatre and a Grade 2 listed building.
Buckley Methodist Church, Union Court, Barnsley.
Wesleyan Reform Church, Smithies.
The Christadelphian Church, Blenheim Road, Barnsley.
The Wesleyan Reform Church, Barnsley.
The Church of St. John the Evangelist, Hoylandswaine.
The Methodist Church, Hoylandswaine, orignally a Beathel (sic) Chapel.
The Methodist Church, Crane Moor, view 1.
The Methodist Church, Crane Moor, view 2.
The (former) Primitive Methodist Church, Crane Moor.
Holy Trinity Church, Thurgoland.
The Methodist Church, Thurgoland.
The Methodist Church, Green Moor.
The Church of St John the Baptist, Dodworth.
Methodist Church, Dodworth, view 1.
Methodist Church, Dodworth, view 2.
The Wesleyan Reform Church, Dodworth.
Emmanuel Methodist Church, Old Town.
The Spiritualist Church, Barnsley.
The 7th Day Adventist Church, Barnsley.
The Salem Wesleyan Reform Church, Barnsley.
The Church of St. Edward the Confessor, Kingstone.
- Here is a transcription of a
Land Deed from the year 1653, transcribed from
a document in Barnsley Archives, by the Barnsley Archive Project Group.
- Here are the
STANDING ORDERS for the 65th Regiment
(of Foot).[Formed in 1758, later to become the Yorks Lancs]
transcribed by Walt Norris.
- and a document detailing the recruits for
his Majesties 65th Foot commanded by Lieut. Genl. Edward Urmston.
These men were probably recruited to fight in the Amercan war
of Independence, again transcribed by Walt Norris.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient)
parish, but I have no further information on them other than
the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE338032) Gilroyd
- (SK281994) Green Moor
- (SE272055) Hill Top
- (SE280047) Kine Moor
- (SE337056) Kingstone
- (SE299041) Moor End
- (SE199082) Park Head
- (SE335060) Shaw Lands
- (SE294045) Silkstone Common
- David Exley has extracted and indexed over a thousand
names and places of residence from the
Barnsley District Poll book for the General Election of 1835. These pages
are hosted by the Barnsley FHS, there are a total of six pages, and links are
included for jumping between the other five.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014