Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Skipton:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Skipton:


"BARDEN, in the parish of Skipton, east-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 5 miles from Skipton, 10 from Pateley Bridge, 11 from Kettlewell. Pop. 219. Here is a private family Chapel, not subject to archiopiscopal jurisdiction, served by the minister of Bolton." (There is further information for Barden).


"BARDEN PIKE LODGE, a single house in the township of Barden, and parish of Skipton; 5 miles from Skipton."


"BEAMSLEY, (Great and Little), in the parishes of Addingham and Skipton, upper division of Claro; (Beamsley Hall, the residence of Robinson Chippendale, Esq.) 6 miles from Skipton, 8½ from Otley, 17 from Knaresborough. Pop. in Addingham 80, in Skipton, 232, total, 312." (There is further information for Beamsley).


"BERWICK, 2 farm-houses in the township of Draughton, and parish of Skipton, liberty of Clifford's-Fee; 4 miles E. of Skipton."


"BOLTON ABBEY, in the parish of Skipton, east-division and liberty of Staincliffe; (a seat of the Duke of Devonshire), 5¾ miles NE. of Skipton, 10 from Keighley, 11½ from Pateley Bridge, 12 from Otley, 16 from Harrogate. Pop. 127. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Mary and St. Cuthbert, in the deanry of Craven, value, p.r. *£46. 1s. 11d. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire." (There is further information for Bolton Abbey).


"BOLTON BRIDGE, 4 houses in the townships of Bolton Abbey and Beamsley, and parish of Skipton, liberty of Staincliffe; 5½ miles E. of Skipton, 12 from Pateley Bridge.

Bolton Bridge had anciently a chapel, like many others, for the benefit of Travellers. The town field, a plain of inexhaustible fertility, stretched from the bridge to the priory wall; and on this, Prince Rupert is said by tradition, to have encamped on his way to Marston Moor, in July, 1644. The elm, under which he dined, is remembered by persons now alive, (1805.) --Whitaker's Craven."


"BOW BRIDGE, and BOW MILL, 4 cots. in the township of Embsay with Eastby, and parish of Skipton; 2 miles from Skipton."


"BROADSHAW, 2 farm-houses in the township of Hazelwood with Storiths, and parish of Skipton; 7½ miles from Skipton."


"CATGILL, a farm-house in the township of Bolton Abbey, and parish of Skipton; 5 miles from Skipton."


"CAWDER HALL, a farm-house in the township and parish of Skipton; 1 mile from Skipton."


"CHELKER, (or Chelcar) a farm-house in the township of Draughton, and parish of Skipton; 4½ miles from Skipton."


"CLOSE HOUSE, a farm-house in the township and parish of Skipton; 2 miles from Skipton."


"COBBS HOUSES, 2 houses in the township of Stirton with Thorlby, and parish of Skipton; 2 miles from Skipton."


"CRAGG HOUSE, a single house in the township of Halton East, and parish of Skipton; 4 miles from Skipton."


"CROFT HOUSE, (the residence of John Atkinson, Esq.) in the parish of Skipton, 2 miles from Skipton. It is one of the houses formerly called Cobbs Houses. see Cobbs Houses."


"DEERSTONES, 4 farm-houses in the township of Beamsley, and parishes of Addingham and Skipton; 7 miles from Skipton."


"DRAUGHTON, in the parish of Skipton, east-division of Staincliffe, liberty of Clifford's-Fee; 3¼ miles NE. of Skipton, 8 from Keighley, 12 from Otley. Pop. 279."


"DREBLEY, in the township of Barden, and parish of Skipton, east-division of Staincliffe; 5 miles NE. of Skipton, 10 from Pateley Bridge."


"EASTBY, in the township of Embsay with Eastby, and parish of Skipton, east-division of Staincliffe, liberty of Clifford's-Fee; 2½ miles N. of Skipton, 17 from Settle. Pop. included in Embsay."


"EMBSAY, in the parish of Skipton, east-division of Staincliffe, liberty of Clifford's-Fee; 1½ miles N. of Skipton, 16 from Settle. Pop. including Eastby, 861, which being united, form a township.

In the year 1121, William de Machines and Cecilia his wife, founded a Priory here for Canons regular, which was dedicated to St. Cuthbert and St. Mary: It continued about 33 years, and was then translated to Bolton. --Burton. --Whitaker's Craven. "Embsay Kirk, during 30 years the site of the Priory is now (1812) the property of William Baynes, Esq. who has erected an excellent house on the spot; in digging the foundations for which, many relics of ancient interments, &c. were discovered. It seems to stand in the middle of the cloister yard; for when the late occupier, who finished the grounds, began to level a few yards north from the house, the foundations of the priory church were discovered." --Whitaker's Craven. It is now the property of Mr. Preston, of Skipton, by marriage of a daughter of the late Mr. Baynes."


"HALTON EAST, in the parish of Skipton, east-division of Staincliffe, liberty of Cliffords-Fee; 4 miles from Skipton, 9 from Keighley, 14 from Otley. Pop. including Bolton, 141, which being united, form a township."


"HAMBLETON HOUSE, a single house in the township of Bolton Abbey, and parish of Skipton; 6 miles from Skipton."


"HAWPIKE, a farm-house in the township of Draughton, and parish of Skipton; 5 miles from Skipton."


"HAZELWOOD, in the parish of Skipton, upper-division of Claro; 7½ miles E. of Skipton, 13 from Pateley Bridge, 16½ from Knaresborough. Pop. including Storiths, 209, which being united form a township.

Here is a School for the poor of the township, the master of which receives £15. per annum, from Silvester Petyt's charities, the interest of £300. The school house was built about 120 years ago, by a person of the name of Winterburn. --Commiss. Report. Mr. Petyt, whose charities were extensive in the neighbourhood, appears to have been born in Storiths, in this township."


"HEUGH, a single house in the township of Embsay with Eastby, and parish of Skipton; 1¾ miles from Skipton."


"HIGH GATE, a farm-house in the township of Stirton with Thorlby, and parish of Skipton; 3 miles from Skipton."


"HIGH SNAYGILL, a farm-house in the township and parish of Skipton, liberty of Staincliffe; 1 mile S. of Skipton, 9 from Keighley."


"HOLME BRIDGE, a single house in the township of Stirton with Thorlby, and parish of Skipton; 3¾ miles NW. of Skipton."


"HOWGILL, in the township of Barden, and parish of Skipton, east-division of Staincliffe; 7½ miles NE. of Skipton, 13 from Pateley Bridge, 16½ from Knaresborough."


"ICKERING GILL, a single house in the township of Beamsley; and parish of Skipton; 6½ miles from Skipton.

This place was anciently the residence of the ancestors of the present Sir Thomas Frankland, Bart. and is still his property."


"LOBWOOD, a farm-house in the township of Draughton, and parish of Skipton; 3½ miles from Skipton."


"LOW SNAYGILL, a farm-house in the township and parish of Skipton, liberty of Staincliffe; 1 mile S. of Skipton, 9 from Keighley."


"MORRETTS, in the parish of Skipton, wapentake and liberty of Staincliffe; 2 miles N. of Skipton."


"PACE GATE, a farm-house in the township of Beamsley, and parish of Skipton; 9 miles E. of Skipton."


"SKIBEDEN, East and West, 2 farm-houses in the township and parish of Skipton, liberty of Staincliffe; 2½ miles from Skipton."


"STANK HOUSE, a farm-house in the township of Bolton Abbey, and parish of Skipton; 6 miles from Skipton."


"STIRTON, in the parish of Skipton, east-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 1½ miles, NW. of Skipton, 12 from Colne, (Lanc.) Pop. including Thorlby, 168, which being united, form a township."


"STORITHS, in the township of Hazelwood with Storiths, and parish of Skipton, lower-division of Claro; 7 miles from Skipton, 13 from Pateley Bridge, 17½ from Knaresborough. Pop. included in Hazelwood."


"STRID COTTAGE, a farm-house in the township of Bolton, and parish of Skipton; 6½ miles from Skipton."


"SUMMERSCALES, a hamlet in the township of Beamsley, and parish of Skipton; 7 miles E. of Skipton, 16 from Knaresborough."


"THORLBY, in the township of Stirton with Thorlby, and parish of Skipton, east-division of Staincliffe; 2 miles from Skipton, 11 from Colne, (Lanc.) 14 from Settle. Pop. included in Stirton."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]