NEWTON, in the parish of Slaidburn, west-division of Staincliffe, liberty of Bowland; (Newton Hall, the seat of Thomas Parker, Esq.) 7 miles NW. of Clitheroe, (Lanc.) 13 from Settle, 18 from Lancaster, 22 from Skipton. No Market. Fairs, March 14, April 14, and September 16, for horned cattle. Pop. 581.
Here is a School, founded by John Brabbin, of Newton in Bowland, by Will, dated 23rd March, 1768, and endowed it with twenty guineas, for the purpose of instructing all the people called Quakers, male and female, and six children of the poor inhabitants of the township of Newton; and a house and school room which he erected, and a garden adjoining. By a lapse of several years, the salary has accumulated to forty guineas per annum. It is managed by trustees elected, according to the tenure of his Will, on the recommendation of the Quakers, who assemble at their monthly meetings, held at Settle. The present master, James Noddle, was elected in 1813, and the number of scholars average about thirty. Other children, not Quakers, can be admitted, provided there is not above a certain number of that sect.