Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for SLAIDBURN: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

SLAIDBURN: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"SLAIDBURN, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of High Bowland-Forest, Low Bowland-Forest, Easington, Newton, and Slaidburn, and containing 2583 inhabitants, of which number, 904 are in the township of Slaidburn, 8 miles N.W. from Clitheroe. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of the. East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £32, and in the patronage of J. Wigglesworth, Esq> The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. There is a chapel of ease, dedicated to St. Peter 5 also a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A free grammar school was founded here, in 1717, by John Brannord, who bequeathed an estate in trust, to apply £200 for the erection of the school-house, with £ 50 a year to a master, and £30 to an usher, for teaching the classics, or English grammar, to all the children of the parish. Another school was endowed, in 1732, by Mr. William Clayton, with £250, and by Mr. Johnson with £100, the interest of which sums, amounting to about £14.14. per annum, is applied to the gratuitous instruction of from twenty to thirty poor children. A chantry was founded, in 1332, by Stephen de Hamerton, in the chapel of St. Mary, then existing on his manor of Hamerton, for a Secular chaplain, to celebrate mass for the repose of the souls of himself, his father, and his mother."


"EASINGTON, a township in the parish of SLAIDBURN, western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles N.N.W. from Clitheroe, containing 501 inhabitants. Here is a free school."


"HIGH BOWLAND FOREST, a township in the parish of SLAIDBURN, western division of the wapentake of STAINCUFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, containing 237 inhabitants. Here was anciently a forest, but the greater part of it has been enclosed; the office of master-forester has long been in the tenure of the family of Parker, of Browsholme Hall, an adjoining manorial residence."


"LOW BOWLAND FOREST, a township in the parish of SLAIDBURN, western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, containing 360 inhabitants."


"NEWTON, a township in the parish of SLAIDBURN, western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles N.N.W. from Clitheroe, containing 581 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]