GENUKI Home page    Slaidburn Parish<br>main page Slaidburn
Parish
main page

SLAIDBURN:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"SLAIDBURN, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of High Bowland-Forest, Low Bowland-Forest, Easington, Newton, and Slaidburn, and containing 2583 inhabitants, of which number, 904 are in the township of Slaidburn, 8 miles N.W. from Clitheroe. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of the. East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £32, and in the patronage of J. Wigglesworth, Esq> The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. There is a chapel of ease, dedicated to St. Peter 5 also a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A free grammar school was founded here, in 1717, by John Brannord, who bequeathed an estate in trust, to apply £200 for the erection of the school-house, with £ 50 a year to a master, and £30 to an usher, for teaching the classics, or English grammar, to all the children of the parish. Another school was endowed, in 1732, by Mr. William Clayton, with £250, and by Mr. Johnson with £100, the interest of which sums, amounting to about £14.14. per annum, is applied to the gratuitous instruction of from twenty to thirty poor children. A chantry was founded, in 1332, by Stephen de Hamerton, in the chapel of St. Mary, then existing on his manor of Hamerton, for a Secular chaplain, to celebrate mass for the repose of the souls of himself, his father, and his mother."


"EASINGTON, a township in the parish of SLAIDBURN, western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles N.N.W. from Clitheroe, containing 501 inhabitants. Here is a free school."


"HIGH BOWLAND FOREST, a township in the parish of SLAIDBURN, western division of the wapentake of STAINCUFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, containing 237 inhabitants. Here was anciently a forest, but the greater part of it has been enclosed; the office of master-forester has long been in the tenure of the family of Parker, of Browsholme Hall, an adjoining manorial residence."


"LOW BOWLAND FOREST, a township in the parish of SLAIDBURN, western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, containing 360 inhabitants."


"NEWTON, a township in the parish of SLAIDBURN, western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles N.N.W. from Clitheroe, containing 581 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015