|Yorkshire||West Riding||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"SLAIDBURN, a parish-town, in the west division of Staincliffe, liberty of Bowland; 9 miles NW. of Clitheroe, (Lanc.) 10 from Gisburn, and Long Preston, 12 from Settle, 20 from Lancaster and Blackburn, (Lanc.) 21 from Skipton, 62 from York. No Market. Fairs, Wednesday before Easter, and November 4. Principal Inn, Hark to Bounty. Pop. 914. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to Saint Andrew, in the deanry of Craven, value £28. Patron the Rev. Henry Wigglesworth.
The Church is a large handsome structure, of red Fell stone, built about the time of Henry VIII. and appears to have been repaired in 1726. Within the altar is a stone, inscribed to the memory of Nicholas Townley, dated 1693.
This place is situated near the western extremity of the Forest of Bowland, on the borders of Lancashire.
Here is a Free Grammar School, which was erected and Endowed by John Brennand late of Panehill in this Parish. Gentleman who died the 15th day of May in the year of our Lord 1717. The Master's salary £50. and the Usher or second Master, about £20. per annum. The Courts Leet for the higher division of the Forest of Bowland are held here.
"Henry de Lacy, Earl of Lincoln, procured a charter for a Fair at Slaydburn, on the eve and festival of St. Peter ad Vinc. and two days after." --Whitaker's Craven."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Bowland Forest
- Brown Hills
- Burn House
- Dunnow Hall
- Dunsop Bridge
- Hamerton Hall
- Harrop Lodge
- High Field
- Merrybent Hill
- New House
- Stephen Park
- Stoney Bank
- Woodhouse Gate