Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: AIRMIN.     Church dedication: ST. DAVID.

Osgoldcross wapentake, L.D. -Population, 567, vide Snaith; Chapel-room, 200 *1; Net value, £74.

Patrons, the Earl of Beverley and N. E. Yarburgh, Esq.; impropriator, the Earl of Beverley.

Ralph Paganel had possessions here.

Richard, son of William de Neusom, Clerk, gave to the Priory of Drax the sixth part of the ferry of Armin, which was given to him by Adam, the son of Adam de Armin, by John the Carpenter of York and Margaret his wife, and by William de Garton and Joan his wife.

5th Id. October, A.D. 1318, upon the clamorous insinuation made to the Archbishop of York that the parishioners of Snaith, in the town of Armin, could not receive the benefit of the administration of the sacraments and sacramentals in due season, by reason whereof many of them died without confession, and their holy viaticums and infants without baptism ; whereupon the Archbishop wrote to the Abbot and Convent of Selby his letters exhortatory for dedicating the Chapel of Armin, that the Chaplain in that town might serve their parishioners there, that they may less frequently repair to their parish Church of Snaith to hear divine service there.

4th February 1363, concord between the Abbies of Selby and St. Mary's about tithes of Armin. -Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 1,392.

A Chantry is mentioned in the Valor Ecc.

In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 366, it is recommended that Hook be made a parish, and Armin and Goole annexed thereto.

Augmented, in 1819, with £1,000 from the Parliamentary grant, by lot. (Query.)

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1726.

Parochial Charities. -No return.

Post town: Howden.


References:
Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 301. Bawdwen's Domesday Book, page 188. Burton's Monast., page 100. Torre's MS., page 1,392.


Notes:
*1 In 1818, the Chapel-room was returned at 250.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.