Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: CARLTON IN BALNE.     Church dedication: SAINT MARY.

Barkston Ash wapentake, U.D. -Population, 808, vide Snaith; Chapel-room, 300; Net value, £168.

Patrons, the trustees of J. Day and assignees of T. Lee ; impropriator, - Stapleton, Esq.

The lordship was held of the king in capite by the heirs of the Stapletons, Knights, who had it by descent from the family of the Bella Aquas, as they had them from the Lords Brus, of Skelton, by marriage, which Lord Brus obtained a charter of free warren here.

The Grange was given to Selby Abbey.

See an agreement in Torre's MS., page 1309, about tithes ; also dedication of the chapel-yard, because the river Aire, running between the town and Snaith, sometimes overflows, insomuch that the inhabitants cannot get to their parish Church to bury dead; wherefore, at the request of Sir Bryan de Stapelton and divers inhabitants, license was granted to bury at Carleton.

See also an agreement with the Monasteries of Selby and Drax respecting tithes, and the bounds and metes of the parish.

Recommended by the Parliamentary Commissioners " to be made a parish, the way between Snaith and Carleton being often impassable, by reason of the overflowing of the river Aire." -Vol. xviii. page 371.

Augmented, in 1834, with £200, to meet benefaction of £400 (as one benefaction), by subscriptions.

A Chantry is named in the Valor Ecc., which was founded 17th November, 12th Henry IV., A.D. 1411.

Inclosure Acts were passed 39th and 40th Geo. III.

The glebe house is unfit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1628. There are some chasms.

Charities:
Elizabeth Fisher's charity, by will, 9th January 1724. Rent of a house and twenty acres of land. £4 per annum is paid to a schoolmaster for teaching ten poor children to read. Twelve-pennyworth of bread to poor widows or other poor every Sunday ; 20s. to the Curate for preaching a sermon on new year's day ; residue of the rents to the Incumbent Curate, he preaching a sermon on the 14th March, and giving away forty shillings' worth of bread on that day.

Stapleton's almshouse, for four widows. Each receive £4 per annum and £1. 11s. 6d. at Christmas, to purchase a gown and petticoat, and 2s. for a dinner. Miles Stapleton, Esq., makes the payments, repairs the premises, and nominates the widows. No account preserved.

Poor's Money. Sundry rent-charges amounting together to £3 per annum. No trace of any payment since 1771. -Vide 12th Report, page 662.

Post town: Snaith.


References:
Torres MS. (Peculiars), page 1,389. Mon. Ang., vol. iii. page 488. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 317.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.