Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: RAWCLIFFE.     Church dedication: ST. JAMES.

Osgoldcross wapentake, L.D. Population, 1,450, vide Snaith; Chapel-room, 400; Net value, £120.

Patron, N. E. Yarburgh, Esq.

Impropriator, --- Gossip, Esq.

" John, abbot of Selby, temp. Edward III. or Richard II., granted license to the inhabitants of Rawcliffe, that they should have in their Chapel, newly built, a baptismal font, but without prejudice to the mother church of Snaith." -Torre's MS. (Peculiars) page 1392.

" The Chapel was founded by one of the abbots of Selby, for the celebration of mass during the time of his residence on his manor of Rockcliffe, and left at the Reformation without any endowment, till 1689, when Matthew Boynton, Esq. endowed it by will with £20 per annum, charged upon his lands at Pollington ; and Mr. Francis Boynton, of London, merchant, by will left £400 which in 1701 was laid out in the purchase of lands at Stubbs Walden. All the tithes are impropriate ; the great tithes to John Bigby, Esq., and the small to Sir Thomas Yarborough. The Chapel was rebuilt in 1701 by Judith Boynton, widow of the aforesaid Matthew Boynton, Esq." Signed, " Charles Hall, Vic." Notitia Parochialis, No. 1,010.

In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 370, this Chapelry is recommended to be made a distinct parish.

Augmented in 1813 with £600 from the Parliamentary grant, by lot.

An Inclosure Act was passed 25th Geo. II.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books for baptism and marriages commence in 1689, for burials in 1753; prior to which they were entered at Snaith, as were also marriages from 1754 to 1824, since which the right of marrying at Rawcliffe has been exercised.

Charities:
Free School. Founded for eight poor children, by one of the family of the Boyntons. Reading, writing, and arithmetic are taught gratis. Income: rent of 22a. 2r. of land, and there is a school-house and garden. The Commissioners reported it as their opinion that more free scholars should be taught.

Matthew Boynton's almshouse for four poor widows. Rent of one acre of land, and an annual payment of £4.

Judith Boynton's charity, by will, dated 9th November 1700. Interest of £200 to be paid out of land ; 20s. per annum, to be laid out in Bibles, to be given on St. Matthew's day ; 10s. more in Bibles for poor people at Goole; 2s. a week in bread, to poor people attending prayers in the chapel on Wednesdays and Fridays; 40s. per annum to the parish-clerk, for attending chapel on holidays, and the residue to be laid out in Bibles or some other charitable use. -The money was never invested, and the bond could not be found. £4 per cent. interest continued to be paid at the time of the Report, and the Rev. Thomas Horncastle Marshall, of Ordsall, Notts, had guaranteed the ultimate payment of the money.

Lancelot Huddersfield's dole, by will, 20th August 1778. 208. per annum, to the poor at Christmas. -Vide 12th Report, page 670.

Post town: Snaith.


References:
Vid. Torre's MS. (Peculiars) page 1,392. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. pages 301. 316.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.