Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for SNAITH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

SNAITH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"SNAITH, a parish in the West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the market-town of Snaith, the chapelries of Armin, Hooke, and Rawcliff, and the townships of Balne, Cowick, Goole, Gowdall, Hick, Hensall, and Pollington, in the lower division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, and the chapelry of Carleton, in the lower division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding of the county of YORK, and containing 6909 inhabitants, of which number, 834 are in the town of Snaith, 23 miles S.E. from York, and 175 N.W. from London. The town is situated on a gentle declivity on the south bank of the river Aire: it is small and irregularly built; the streets are lighted with oil; the houses are chiefly of brick, and rather of mean appearance, but a few handsome and substantial dwellings have been lately erected; the inhabitants are well supplied with water from wells. Flax is cultivated in the neighbourhood to a considerable extent, and conveyed to the market at Leeds by the river Aire: the canal from Knottingley to Goole passes southward of the town. The market is on Thursday, and fairs are held on the last Thursday in April, and August 10th, for cattle, &c. Courts are occasionally held for the manor. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of Snaith, and in the patronage of Nicholas Edmund Yarburgh, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient and spacious structure, in the later style of English architecture, with a low square tower surmounted with pinnacles and a belfry of wood. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The free grammar school is of unknown foundation: in 1741, Nicholas Waller gave a rent-charge of £30 for its endowment: twenty boys are educated, but classical instruction has been long discontinued. There are almshouses for six poor persons, founded by the Yarburgh family; and others for six poor widows, which were rebuilt, in 1802, by Lord Viscount Downe."


"AIRMYN, a chapelry in that part of the parish of SNAITH, which is in the lower division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.S.W. from Howden, containing 570 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, within the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of Snaith, endowed with £600 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £1000 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of N. Yarburgh, Esq. The chapel is dedicated to St. David."


"BALNE, a township in that part of the parish of SNAITH, which is in the lower division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, m miles W.S.W. from Snaith, containing 329 inhabitants."


"CARLETON, a Chapelry in the parish of Snaith, lower division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding of the county of YORK, 1 mile N.E. from Snaith, containing 775 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, within the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of Snaith, and in the patronage of William Day, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The village is agreeably situated on the northern bank of the.river Aire, across which there is a bridge on the road to Snaith. There is a small school, to which Mrs. E, Fisher, in 1726, left £4 per annum, arising from land, for teaching ten poor children to read; and there are four almshouses, to each of which Miles Stapleton, Esq. gives an annuity of £4."


"COWICK, a township in that part of the parish of SNAITH, which is in the lower division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, a mile E.S.E. from Snaith, containing 905 inhabitants. There is a small endowed school."


"GOOLE, a township in that part of the parish of SNAITH, which is in the lower division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles S. from Howden, containing 450 inhabitants. This township is within the peculiar jurisdiction of the ecclesiastical court of Snaith. Goole, which is gradually rising in wealth and importance, is situated at the conflux of the Dutch river with the Ouse, across which there is a new bridge, and in the vicinity are spacious1 docks 5 several additional buildings have been erected since the recent extension of the Ouse navigation. There is a place of worship for Independents. A free school: for twelve children is endowed with lands producing an income of £21 per annum."


"GOWDALL, a township in that part of the parish of SNAITH, which is in the lower division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 11 mile W. from Snaith, containing 243 inhabitants. This township is within the peculiar jurisdiction of the ecclesiastical court of Snaith."


"HECK, (or HICK) a township in that part of the parish of SNAITH, which is in the lower division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.W. from Snaith, containing 228 inhabitants. This township is within the peculiar ecclesiastical jurisdictipn of the court of Snaith."


"HENSALL, a township in that part of the parish of SNAITH, which is in the lower division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.W. from Snaith, containing 233 inhabitants."


"HOOKE, a chapelry in that part of the parish of SNAITH, which is in the lower division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles S.S.E. from Howden, containing 363 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the jurisdiction of the Peculiar court of Snaith, endowed with £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of - Starkie, Esq. The chapel is dedicated to St. John. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Twelve children are instructed for £6 a year, the bequest of Joshua Jefferson in 1721."


"POLLINGTON, a township in that part of the parish of SNAITH, which is in the lower division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles S.W. from Snaith, containing 483 inhabitants. It is within the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of Snaith. There is a place of worship for Independents."


"RAWCLIFF, a chapelry in that part of the parish of SNAITH, which is in the lower division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.E. from Snaith, containing 1496 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, with that of Suaith, in the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of Snaith, endowed with £600 parliamentary grant. The chapel is dedicated to St. James. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The free school here is supposed to have been founded by a Mr. Boynton, for the education of eight children; the master's income is £27 a year, with a house and garden."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]