Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: SOUTH ANSTON.     Church dedication: ST. JAMES.     Church type: Peculiar. Perpetual Curacy.

Area, 3,110 acres, vide Laughton. Strafforth and Tickhill wapentake, S. D. -Population, 840 *1; Chapel-room, 350; Net value, £79.

Patron, the Prebendary of the Cathedral of York.

The Chapelries of North and South Anstan belong to the Prebendary of Laughton, who hath jurisdiction of the same, and over all the inhabitants, and hath likewise in Woodsetts all manner of jurisdiction.

The Manvers were anciently lords of these places, and probably built the Chapel. The arms of the Lizours appear also on the windows.

Valued, in 1707, at £10. 10s. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 443, it is stated : " A large and spacious Church, without any maintenance, save only of good will. Three houses in Anston, and certain lands and tithes belong to Saint Leonard's, in Dinnington. We think fit that the whole town of Anston, and the place called Wood-sails, be annexed to Anston Church."

Augmented, in 1774, with £200; in 1786, with £200; in 1793, with £200; and in 1815, with £1,400 from the Parliamentary grant-all by lot.

The great and small tithes of the lands called Deep Carr's Farms, Stub-bing's Farms, and the Horse Course, in the parish of South Anston, in Yorkshire, belong to the Prebendary of Loughton in the Morthing, as parcel of the possessions of the Cathedral of St. Peter, in York *2.

Quere. Whether the Prebendary is entitled to the tithes of the Plantation, the Howdes, the Pickle Yards, the Spring Meadow, the Cow Closes, the Lockley Loam Close, and the Crofts Head Close, in kind, or only to sixpenny moduses in lieu thereof ? *3

Quere. Whether he is entitled to the tithes of Cotterell's Woods in kind, or only to a modus of two shillings a year ? *4

An Inclosure Act was passed 7th Geo. III.

For the arms and monuments, see Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. i. page 304.

There is no glebe house.

The Register Books commence in 1550.

Charity:
School. A small building, and a piece of land attached, containing about 1r. 24p., are appropriated for a school, having been given, as supposed, by one of the family of Sykes, and are held by the master of the township school, who, on account of the use of the building and land, teaches in his school four poor children, as free scholars, to read. -Vide 18th Report, page 599.

Post town: Rotherham.


References:
Bawdwen's Domesday Book, pages 147. 159, 160. Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 525. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. i. page 304.


Notes:
*1 North and South Anstan. In 1834, only returned at 810. Mr. Hunter thinks the name of Anstan means "one stone." -For the possessions of Roche Abbey, in these towns, see Burton's Monasticon, page 319.

*2 Rogers v. Parkin, 3 Wood, page 296.

*3 Rogers v. Twibell, 3 Wood, page 472.

*4 Rogers v. Champion, 3 Wood, page 475.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.