Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for SOUTH KIRKBY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

SOUTH KIRKBY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"SOUTH KIRKBY, a parish in the upper division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, West Riding county York, 8 miles S. of Pontefract, its post town, 9 N.E. of Barnsley, and 6 N.E. of the Cudworth railway station, on the Midland Counties line. It contains the hamlets and townships of Skelbrooke, Robin Hood's Well, Stubbs, and North and South Elmshall. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the atone quarries, and in agriculture. Malting is carried on. The soil is clay alternating with sand and marl, and subsoil limestone. About two-thirds of the land is arable, the remainder pasture and woodland. The tithes were commuted for land and a corn-rent under an Act of Enclosure in 1807. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £244. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient stone structure with a tower containing six bells. The parochial charities produce about £45 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel with a Sunday-school attached. There is a day school for both sexes. The Rev. John Allott is lord of the manor. The chief seats are the Grove and Hague Hall."


"HAMPHALL STUBBS, a township in the parish of South Kirkby, N. division of the wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 7 miles N.E. of Barnsley, and 7½ from Doncaster. It was formerly in the parish of Adwick-le-Street. The village is situated on an eminence. The land is chiefly arable, with a limestone subsoil. Stubbs Hall is the principal residence."


"MENSTHORPE, a hamlet in the township of Elmsall and parish of South Kirkby, West Riding county York, 8 miles N.W. of Doncaster."


"MOORTHORPE, a hamlet in the township of Kirby and parish of South Kirkby, West Riding county York, 6 miles S. of Pontefract."


"NORTH ELMSALL, a township in the parish of South Kirkby, upper division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, West Riding county York, 2 miles N. of South Kirkby, and 6 S.E. of Pontefract. It is situated on the London an Doncaster road, and includes the hamlets of Mensthorpe and Wrangbrook. Colonel Cholmley is lord of the manor. Elmsall Lodge is the principal residence."


"SKELBROOKE, a chapelry in the parish of South Kirkby, upper division of Osgoldcross wapentake, West Riding county York, 8 miles N.W. of Doncaster, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated near Barnsdale Forest. At this place Henry VIII., in 1541, met the clergy of the diocese of York, and received the sum of £600 as a present. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £80. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient stone edifice; it was repaired in 1840."


"SOUTH ELMSALL, a in the parish of South Kirkby, upper division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, West Riding county York, 7 miles S.E. of Pontefract. It is situated near the little river Skelbrook. There are both steam and wind mills for grinding corn, also malt-kilns. The Wesleyans have a chapel. There is a school for both sexes. Colonel Cholmley is lord of the manor."


"WRANGBROOK, a hamlet in the parish of South Kirkby, West Riding county York, 6 miles S.E. of Pontefract."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013