Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: WETHERBY.     Church dedication: CHAPEL.

SAINT JAMES. -Claro wapentake, U. D. -Population, 1,321 ; Chapel-room, 500; Net value, £181. *1-The town was given to the Knights Templars by William, son of Robert de Denby.

Patron, the Rector of Spofforth.

A brief was granted in 1757, for repairing this Chapel.

22nd June 1816, faculty to erect a gallery.

The Cure was augmented in 1776 by lot with £200, in 1778 with £200 to meet benefaction of £200 from the Duke of Devonshire ; and in 1812 with £800 by lot, from the Parliamentary grant.

" Wetherby, a market town, very populous, and a high road between Barwick and London, and two miles from Spofforth. The Chapel is of ancient erection, but bath no endowment; one Mr. Dunwell performs the Cure, and has only some small tithes of the value of 40s. per annum for his maintenance, without any further allowance from the incumbent of Spofforth, save that the inhabitants do give him a voluntary contribution for his better subsistence. We think Linton and Sherry Grange should be annexed to Wetherby, and that it be made a parish church." -Parliamentary Survey, vol. xxviii. page 148.

No glebe house.

The Register Book for baptisms commences in 1783. Marriages and burials take place at Spofforth.

Charity:
The only charity, exclusively for the benefit of the poor, arises out of a legacy of £10 left by Mr. Geo. Dewer, the interest to be yearly given to such poor people as should most regularly attend Divine Service in Wetherby Chapel. This legacy was laid out, in 1817, in the purchase of three pews in the west gallery, which at the time of the Report produced 15s. a year. -Vide 3d Report, page 503.

A post town.


References:
Vid. Torre's MS. page 260. Hargrove's Knaresbro', page 298.


Notes:
*1 In the Parliamentary Return, the value is stated, by error, at £101; but in the last edition of the Clerical Guide (1836), the error is corrected.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.