PLUMPTON, in the parish of Spofforth, upper-division of Claro; 3 miles S. of Knaresborough, 4 from Wetherby. Pop. 208.
This was formerly the seat of the ancient family of Plumpton, who held it of the Percies as "Mesne Lords;" and which lands they have held ever since the 20th of William the Conqueror, in one regular and uninterrupted course of descent, in the Male line, till it at last ended in Robert Plumpton Esq. who died in France, about the year 1749, from whom the estate went to his aunt, Anne, who sold it to the late Daniel Lascelles, Esq.
The pleasure grounds comprise about twenty three acres, are laid out with much taste, and diversified with large rocks, flowers, shrubs, and evergreens, and at the foot of the rocks is a beautiful lake, covering about seven acres of ground. There is one rock, surrounded with water of immense magnitude, of the same grit as the Devil's Arrows at Boroughbridge; it is about fifty feet in length, and near the water's edge, without a joint. The singularity and beauty of the situation of these grounds, cause numbers of people to resort here during the summer months, which are always open for public inspection on Tuesdays, and occasionally on Fridays.